cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Whats wrong with NAFTA?

Shifty, you seem to have something to say about NAFTA to the contrary side...spit it out. You are the one that goes to Mexico for discount dentistry....seems you would embrace getting cheaper production in other areas of commerce , too. And the guys like BA that hate hispanicss, why not have the jobs in Mexico and Canada and keep those foreignors working on their side of the border?

Last time I checked, it wasn't Mexican TV's, equipment, etc that was flooding the shelves of Walmart. I am all for having job creation in Mexico and the illegals self deporting to where they can find work and prosper.

Seems like its been a pretty good ride for our ag products too......guess the mexican beef, you know the real stuff not the dog meat, likes Midwestern corn and soybeans just fine.

Maybe I am missing something here...an expert like Borass might have to set me straight.

13 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Whats wrong with NAFTA?

Are they also against cheap imported prescription drugs from foreign countries?

OKdon
Senior Contributor

Re: The only point of my comment on Nafta

Was to clarify Mr. BA's assumption that the responsibility for the damage done by Nafta lies at the foot of president clinton and the democrats. The truth is that nafta was always an republican initative supported by some democrats. More democrats opposed the bill than di the republicans. Bill clinton did cooperate with the republicans and passed the bill.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

So its just a R vs. D peter length contest , then. Just wanted to clarify that.

Sounds like you two got on the wrong party line this time. Nafta isn't the cause of the 20% structural unemployment in America.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

No it has nothing to do with a black and decker pecker checker.

It was about correcting a falacy being advanced by your dittohead buddy BA. I have no problem with your ass kissing technique but when he is wrong it needs to be clarified. Not for my benefit or for his but to clarify for those that read these pages.

If you wish to disagree with my comments you are welcome to do your own google search on the topic of NAFTA and the passage thereof.

Whether i go to a dentist in mexico or you buy a japanese car is a side point and no relevance to the discussion.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

help me out then

are YOU personally against NAFTA, and why would that be? And if you are , how do you think that partaking of cheap Mexican denistry affects your credibility on this issue?

BA hates Mexicans...I think we have established that already by his comments.

I try to be neutral when it comes to race and religion....you can be a fruitloop too, and if you go to the polls and support Christian moral values and representative republcian rule, I will support your right to vote.

Having said that, I do not support Islamic terrorism as a "religion" nor do I support any weakening of the Christian moral principles on which this nation has existed under for most of its two centuries plus of prosperity. 

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Smiley Very Happy   Well Red, I don`t hate Mexicans.  I want Mexicans to stay in Mexico and kick the drug cartels and corruption out of their country and make it a country where we`d all go to visit and spend our money on vacation.  The way it is now, we drag in poor people from down there, they have been baptised in that corruption and by giving them a voting card and citizenship card we are only importing their lifestyle.  Go to Mexico and central America, those people that come across our border have allowed that to happen to their countries...they aren`t the sort of people that bring anything positive to America.

As far as Shifty and NAFTA, if he and I didn`t know each other and sitting together on a Amtrack train having a conversation, we could probably talk for hours and agree about NAFTA.  I don`t bring politics into it because I remember listening to Rush while moldboard plowing a hayfield just cussing Rush and Clinton and came to the conclusion that "If Rush ever agrees with Democrats on a issue...then by God that is really a damned dumb idea".

Republicans that are controlled by big business and US Chamber of Commerce as are many Democrats...hey campaign donations are campaign donations.  Screwed us with these trade deals, I`ll admit us farmers made out well with trade deals, but in all honesty the working class American has all been but destroyed.  And now works at McDonalds and the Dollar store to make their living...those are NOT living wage jobs folks!  That are supposed to be entry level part-time jobs for kids or retired folks looking to get out of the house.

Shifty knows damned well that NAFTA was a bad idea and he knows the Democrats screwed the workers.  But it isn`t a deal breaker with him, he figures the Democrats will stick wads of money into all the holes in the leaky dike and redistribute the income through tax and spend and one day the dog will catch his tail.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

Your right. Nafta was a bad idea but it was an initiative promoted by Republicans. In fact, Ronald Reagan spoke of it  a campaign speach in 1979.  Republicans could.nt get it through the democrat congress in the early stages.

So while you want to blame Clinton and the democrats you are not well informed about the history of the bill.

Secondly, the admission of china to the most favored nation status in the WTO was another republican iniative sold to congress with the notion that trade expansion would promote exports to china and that sir is responsible for the trade deficit with the Chinese.

All of these actions are promoted by business interests that want to profiteer on the low cost imports. Selling us the notion that such trade pacts are good for our exports.

We can find much to agree about but not if you choose to include faulty stip[ulations as a starting point.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

Re: help me out then

Simple logic tells me that signing trade agreements with foreign nations that gives the trading partner tarrif advantages is not condusive to any fair trade agreement. Example: American corn exports to mexico had an import duty applied and was given a number of years for expiration. NO such tarrifs were applied to mexican goods.

Secondly, because of my opposition to nafta does not suggest that all business with mexico or canada need be prohibited. If you don't like nafta does that mean you won't buy canadian bacon or canadian club? That is simply an assinine argument. However, you could choose to not vote republican because they promoted nafta.

If I support your christian moral values  and representative republican rule, You will support my right to vote.  I differ on that in that i will support your right to vote whether you share my values or not. The difference being how a patriots viewpoint differs from some theocratic vision.

You don't have to dance to my tune to vote. You don't have to agree with me in the slightest. Your right to vote is guaranteed by the constitution but you have no preferential voting rights granted by your religious or political philosophy.

Therein is the problem when republicans try to exclude certain americans their legally held right to vote.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Don you're putting words in my mouth, read what I said the Republicans are at fault and I don't care how you try and twist it, Democrats are in it just as deep. My Hero Rush was and probably still is a free trader, as is your Bill Clinton. I'm gonna vote Republican basically for the 2nd amendment, you are going to support Democrats for the entitlements....that's what's going on here.

I'm for trade with other countries when it benefits us, we can't raise coffee and bananas so we do need to trade. But somehow these trade deals end up with us exporting factories and jobs, while importing the goods we used to make and illegal immigrants that go into our generous safety net.