cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Wheels Of Progress - 1950's Look At America

Being that it is so danged cold out today, I was poking around the computer looking at old vintage YouTube videos and I stumbled onto this one.  It was produced by the Rock Island Railroad and it gives a great look at what America was all about in 1950.  It shows all phases of American life and the values that the country had back then.

If you want to take a quick look back to see all that we have lost since then and remember a bit of the Good Days, watch this video, you will really like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEFTWc4xy20

9 Replies
cowfarmer
Senior Contributor

Re: Wheels Of Progress - 1950's Look At America

I can't watch, it's hard enoug for me to go into my tiny town and think about all the businesses that are gone, and all the good people that have left to find a life somewhere else. I wonder if tractors over 100 hp were outlawed in the 70's if the small towns would be doing better. LOL but theres probably some truth in the fact that the 15,000 acre farmer hurts the small town economies, if that 15,000 was split up amongst 12 families instead of one, there would be more kids in schools and more population in general in these small towns. oh well just a thought i might be wrong maybe the BTO's are good.

Veteran Advisor

@cowfarmer wrote:

I can't watch, it's hard enough for me to go into my tiny town and think about all the businesses that are gone, and all the good people that have left to find a life somewhere else. I wonder if tractors over 100 hp were outlawed in the 70's if the small towns would be doing better. LOL but theres probably some truth in the fact that the 15,000 acre farmer hurts the small town economies, if that 15,000 was split up amongst 12 families instead of one, there would be more kids in schools and more population in general in these small towns. oh well just a thought i might be wrong maybe the BTO's are good.

We can get back to where America is great again.  It is only a matter of public will and determination.  America can reverse the policies that keep us from being a king of manufacturing and commerce.  We can go back to the values that made America strong.

In any event, this video will make you smile as you see how things were back 60 years ago.  I was born in late 1958, so I only remember the end of the Golden Days, but I still remember them.  It was like that again for a while in the mid Eighties, but it did not last.

Here is the second part of that video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4RJTDCSFHA

bruce MN
Advisor

Craig...you might like a   quick read of David Sirota's "Back to our Future".  It's about the 80's and how they changed our cultural views much more radcially than one would first imagine.

Short simple book..I kept it on the back of the throne for short takes and was done in a couple of weeks. 

r3020
Senior Advisor

Great videos Craig.

rawhide
Advisor

looks like the EPA and other govt. regulations shut most of the business on the video down to me

Veteran Advisor

Re: Okay, One More

@r3020 wrote:

Great videos Craig.

Okay, I have one more for everyone.  This will make you long for the Good Days so much it will hurt.  Here is a video from a movie about taking a long trip by train.  It shows how professional the crews were and how comfortable it was to travel by train back in the day.  

With the cost of fuel so high and the TSA "grope fests" at the airports, and not to mention seats that no one can sit in comfortably..... Perhaps the time is nigh for passenger trains to make a come back.

If enough people want it and are willing to use it, it will happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRVEOZphmDQ&feature=related

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

I can understand you and all the other slave owners wanting to go back to the glory days when you could belt a black  and screw the ass out of the underprivileged.  The good part of the movie is it is set in the 1950 and if that is what you call the good old days, you haven't progressed far at all.  The only thing good about them is the fact they are gone.  If you yearn to bring back that type of living, neandethal life is an option for you.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

America can reverse the policies that keep us from being a king of manufacturing and commerce   -   Sorry, no you can't.  China have a completely different view of that and until the US discharges the 3 trillion debt it owes China, it is going to get worse.  Welcome the the real world Craig. You live in a dream.

rawhide
Advisor

If it wasn't for the USA in the 1940's you would be speaking japanese right now so quit getting your blood pressure up worrying about us so much