cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: When government turns tyrannical

'Government' is not always 'Federal' government.  There are plenty of other governments, that have been tyrannical in the past.

And before I hear about how the 'Federal' government, is here to protect us from other bad governments, I ask, where were they, in that skirmish?

Had those people been unarmed, what chance would they have had to right the wrong?

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Is government tyrannical

When they refuse to let own hand grenades? Bazookas? Heavy artillery? Arms are arms.

How about a prisoner? Does he still have gun rights? Sound like he has more need for self protection inside rather than outside.

Conceiled carry? If we allow them to have guns it would be more logical that they have to keep them exposed so that potential victims can remove themselves from their presence. At least the public should know who is carrying. Drug users? Should they pass muster to buy guns. How about legal drug users? Budweiser? Jim Beam? Schenleys?  How many people are murdered by drunken husbands or friends etc?

Mind altering drug use should prohibit gun ownership, legal drugs or not.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

It is still not justification for more guns.  You can peel a banana many different ways but in the end, it is still a banana.

verbatime
Senior Contributor

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I'm not for 'more guns' as many seem to think I am.

I am for enforcement of the gun laws we already have, and gun laws that actually are effective, without being overly restrictive, or burdeonsome.

I'm happy with Nebraska gun laws.  You will note the shootings haven't happened here, yet we have very high gun ownership.

However, we have what I consider to be some pretty good gun laws, that strike a very good balance, and use common sense to solve/prevent a problem.   Our laws have almost no chance to go 'national'.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

I'm not for 'more guns' as many seem to think I am.

I am for enforcement of the gun laws we already have, and gun laws that actually are effective, without being overly restrictive, or burdeonsome.

I'm happy with Nebraska gun laws.  You will note the shootings haven't happened here, yet we have very high gun ownership.

However, we have what I consider to be some pretty good gun laws, that strike a very good balance, and use common sense to solve/prevent a problem.   Our laws have almost no chance to go 'national'.

Sorry comrade.  You might have good gun laws but it those same laws which have the US in the position it is.  Definition of stupidity, doing the same thing over and over and expect the result to be different.

As for your state having no slaughterings yet, give it time. The gun laws you have will not stop another nutter.  Take his gun off him will.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

What is that and what relevance does it have?

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Nebraska doesn't have the 'same' laws as the rest of the US.  I believe I spelled them out pretty well several times, so I won't go over them again.

I am also questioning your 'definition of stupidity', when it relates to gun laws, and your stance, where doing the same thing over and expecting a different outcome.

Going by that same theme, can you name any incidence, of any more-restrictive gun laws in the US, that have ever resulted in a drop in crime?

If you cannot, why do you think more of the same, would result in different results?

Lastly, I agree with you, that the gun laws we have, will not stop a true nut, from killing others, but neither will banning guns.  Something must be done about the 'nutters', and the gun problem will take care of itself.  If you can find out exactly what that is, you have my vote for President.