cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

Re: When you taxes go up on January one 2011

INCOME TAXES, not taxes added to whatever purchase YOU CHOOSE TO MAKE!!!!!!

To put it bluntly, have your INCOME TAXES gone UP???????????????????????

Taxes on optional purchases does not affect your level of income, or offset it. Yes, you must pay them, but ONLY if you CHOOSE to buy the specific items.

Besides, cigarette taxes aren't LIMITED to an income bracket, because millionaires would pay them too.

Incomes at $250,000 and below have not seen and increase, and IF there were one, it would be MANDATORY by the select bracket to pay it. I DON'T have to pay taxes on any of those products because it is a voluntary choice if I want to purchase them, NOT mandatory.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here Tom.  As I said neither Ollie or Don was specific about just talking about income taxes and I assumed they were referring to Obama's promise not to raise your taxes - not any of your taxes.

I like you do not smoke cigarettes nor go to tanning salons however I did have a son who wrestled in high school and some while in college and his doctor recommended he go tan during wrestling season to help prevent infantigo a staff infection of the skin that wrestlers get at times and is contagious. 

Have a good day.

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

So, did your INCOME TAXES go up, or not?????????

If it WASN'T in reference to income taxes, then what does the $250,000 amount have to do with ANYTHING????????

You danced around it, so I'll take that as a NO.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Now I get the feeling you are beating a dead horse.  Please show me where Don or Ollie said they were specically talking about only income taxes? 

Don started this thread with the following.

"Do not blame democrats. Blame GW Bush and the republicans that passed the previous tax cut bills. They wrote and passed the bills." 

Don then later wrote, "Obama has not raised anyones taxes as yet. NOT ANYONES!" 

To which Ollie replied, "does not seem as tho oblamos tax increases have helped a lot do you think-------NO NATION  can tax itself into prosperity---dumcrats just cant seem to learn that"

Correct me if I'm wrong but did not the previous Repubs tax cut bills Don refers to include much more then just income taxes cuts? The Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconcillation Act of 2001 made changes to more then just income taxes.   Capital gains tax, estate tax, gift tax, retirement plans and education savings plans were also changed.   Reading their posts as written, knowing  Bush and Repubs previous tax cut bills involved more then just income tax and taking into consideration Obama's promise of "no form of tax increase - Not any of your taxes."  then I think it is quite easy for one to make the assumption we were talking about more then just income taxes.  I often see some on here taking liberty with other's words and thoughts and twisting them around in FOX like fashion to better suit their agenda.  Don himself is very astute at this.  Yet you try to make a big deal out my assumption we were talking about tax increases in general.  Again I challenge you to show me where Don and Ollie were talking strictly about income taxes based on their posts?

If you need a dance partner Tom my wife is very good at it and doesn't get to dance as much as she likes since I have two left feet. 

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

LOL, you should be on that show dancing with the stars.

Again, for the THIRD time, did your INCOME TAXES go up or not??????????

The dollar amount of $250,000 and the term "stimulus check" refers to income taxes. The $250,000 amount is irrelevant to any consumption related taxes such as the one for cigarettes, hell, even foreign tourists have to pay that when they purchase cigarettes.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Actually, I think Obamas comments were addressing only federal income taxes. Even Capital gains taxes weren't supposed to effect those of incomes under $250K. However, the economy has greatly changed since the  campaign days of 2008. Perhaps the deficit and the tax code does require another look.

However, I suspect you pubbies will punish Obama much like you did George Bush the senior when he found it necessary to raise taxes.

I do think you are hyperventilating abit too much over very modest tax increases that were far exceeded by stimulas money. If you can't afford another buck on your suntanning bill, Perhaps we could hold a benefit for you.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

To answer your question yes the amount I paid in income taxes did go up under Obama as did my income plus I lost some exemptions.  How is that for dancing?  It's a new move I just learned they call "The Thomas Shuffle."

Seriously though have you not seen my posts where I have repeatedly said I was talking about over all taxes and not just income tax.  You know that is what Ollie was referring to and if you re-read Don's posts you can easily see how it could be construed to be talking about taxes in general as well which is what I was doing. 

"The dollar amount of $250,000 and the term "stimulus check" refers to income taxes. The $250,000 amount is irrelevant to any consumption related taxes such as the one for cigarettes, hell, even foreign tourists have to pay that when they purchase cigarettes."

Tom you are starting to look like a political hack by constantly twisting around words that are already obvious to most people.    Here is Obama's exact words. 

"I can make a firm pledge, under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

Now I'm not trying to suggest that my higher property taxes in Iowa are the result of Obama but federal cigarette taxes and tanning taxes implemented through Obama's and Dem's health care reform sure would fall under Obama's promise of any form of tax increase.  By the way here in Iowa our property taxes are going up because our Gov. Culver and his cohorts increased spending their first couple of years when the state budget could ill afford it and now was forced to make severe cuts and decided to cut the state's spending by 10% across the board including schools which were then forced to lay off hundreds if not thousands of Iowa teachers.  Now to help out struggling schools Tom Harkin has got the Senate to approve a $10 billion fund to help schools for the next year on top of the federal governments $44 billion they will spend on elementary and secondary education next year.   This translates into needing to raise more taxes some place some how since our government does not seem capable of making spending cuts of any kind to offset spending increases.

Go ahead and try to argue that those two federally imposed taxes that I speak of are not "any form of tax increase" or "not any of your taxes"  paid by people making under $250,000 but I think a jury of your peers would quickly reject that notion. 

You are now appear to be trying to rewrite history.  Just read Obama's first sentence and it is pretty clear.     "I can make a firm pledge, under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increaseHe then goes on to clarify it even more by saying "not any of your taxes."

Now you are even trying to spin the cigarette tax by suggesting it does not fall under Obama's promise because cigarettes are also smoked by  tourist and people making over $250,000.  Careful you might sprain an ankle trying to get this one to quack like a duck.  Imagine if you were on the witness stand under oath and were asked if any people making under $250,000 a year smoke cigarettes in this country and were only allowed to answer the question with a yes or no and not permitted to try and change what the meaning of "is" is.  Case closed. 

Seriously Tom if the situation was changed and it was Bush that made the promise of not any type of tax increase on those making under $250,000 and Bush then turned around and raised federal taxes on cigarettes by 260% do you seriously want to tell us that all that you and Don would not be among the first here to openly criticize Bush for breaking his promise?  Remember you are still under oath.  

Seriously have a good air conditioned day.  It is so hot and muggy here I turned the wife down to go out back and tan with her as she tries to get rid of her bikini tan lines and even up her left arm after driving her mail route the past couple of weeks.  I told her I preferred the AC, a cool drink and bantering with you.  Besides I kind of like my pale white butt and like I told her, she is the only one that gets to see it.

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

Well, at least you FINALLY answered the question of whether or not your income taxes went up.

But, beyond that, at first you complained of the cuts(seriously, from a republican?), then it's as though you're complaining about the government funding to reinstate the school cuts. HUH?????????????????

The rest was the same old blah, blah blah blah, blah blah. At least you quit pretending that you're Fred Astaire.

Ho hum, It seems as though when he spoke of income tax, payroll tax, and capital gains tax, as usual you right wingers can somehow read your own words into what is said to justify your beliefs. At least you didn't try to make some outrageous claim such as "he wants to take away your guns". Most normal and rational people know that he was referring to different types of income taxes, whether they are earned or unearned. That's why he pointed out a specific dollar amount,  and below that amount in the same sentence. Well, everyone obviously except for you.

Until the day comes, and I'm waiting patiently for it, that ANY consumption type of taxes such as a cigarette tax, or one on tanning beds, or Chinese tires, DEPENDS UPON YOUR INCOME LEVEL, I would say you have a point. Until that day comes, you don't, as much as you're trying to stretch to make it one.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

My problem with the school cuts are how things were handle.  Culver came into office and spent freely his first couple of years when he should have been able to see the dips in the road up ahead especially during the 2009 spending year.  Then when the sh!t hit the fan he was forced to make big time cuts which he did and I give him credit for that.  However I think he took the wrong approach on the cuts when he simply cut all state spending by 10% including funding for schools.   You may get by with a couple less highway patrol men out on the interstate or mow the road ditches a little less but a 10% cut to all schools is a major hit and resulted in a ton of teachers being let go and many classes no longer being offered forcing county and city governments to scramble to look for ways to make up the short fall. 

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

That is always the problem with across the board cuts. You need to spend money where the need is most critical. The cutting should be where it does the least damage. I never considered buying less seed corn because I needed to economize.