cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

While I'm thinking about it

Since Carter created the dept of education has the quality of education in this country gotten better or worse?
16 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: While I'm thinking about it

Depends on your point of view. We have become very good at turning out little liberal robots who view to only hope is in government.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I suppose if you think that teaching people to care for each other makes them mindless robots, then perhaps you are justified. Mindless robots build the TVA, the interstate highway system, NASA etc.

If you had built the Interstate highway system they would have been gravel roads and millions of seniors would have been impoverished with no health insurance. I guess mindless robots are worth something.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

I suppose if you think that teaching people to care for each other makes them mindless robots, then perhaps you are justified. Mindless robots build the TVA, the interstate highway system, NASA etc.

If you had built the Interstate highway system they would have been gravel roads and millions of seniors would have been impoverished with no health insurance. I guess mindless robots are worth something.

Last time I checked, the Interstate Highway system, the TVA, and NASA were in place before Carter established the Department of Education

FWIW, I think that Carter's Department of Education (who's goal was to improve education) has had as good or better success than his Department of Energy (who's goal was to wean the US off of foreign oil).

Now, if the goal of either of those departments was simply to spent taxpayer dollars, they are roaring successes.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

But the builders were products of public education.

Highlighted
Advisor

If the goal of the depart of education is to teach people to care for one another its not working. At less imo I think people care less than they used to. I remember my great grandmother being moved in with my grandparents as her health failed. My grandmother took care of her till she died in their home. Is our system today of sending the old ones off to the home more caring or less?

regardless, I don't think teaching kids to be more caring should be the focus of schools, let's try math.
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

What is wrong with gravel roads?  If we spent less on super highways and more on super efficient rail service, we would be counting our money instead of crawling on our knees to the communist Chinese to bail our butts out of the fire.   Families are supposed to take care of seniors when they cannot take care of themselves.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

How exactly do you know that those projects were built by people educated in public schools?  How many of the designers, engineers and managers were educated in private schools and private colleges?

I'd bet the majority based on experience.  The laborers might have been and most likely were public educated to the 8th grade or high school but not the people that had the vision and did the design.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Instead of betting on it, why don't you research and report back in a few years??

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

And they were all educated BEFORE there was a Department of Education, and without Federal meddling.

When you went to school, did the teachers change answers on tests, just to get more funding from the Federal Government?

http://wearechangetv.us/2011/07/is-no-child-left-behind-forcing-teachers-to-cheat-for-boost-standard...

Because of this cheating, and other uncertainties, they are considering 'waivers' to bad schools, to let them keep full funding, until things can be sorted out

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/n/no_child_left_behind_act/index.html

Or waste money on crap like this?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110710/NEWS01/707109937

(before you say a 'diversity manual' can't be a bad thing, read what it says)

Back when I went to school, and while I don't know your age, I would guess when you went to school, the school funding was done locally, in local districts, which was responsible for the education of the kids, with certain State standards to be followed.

It wasn't until the Feds jumped in that things like this seemed to happen.

It started under Carter, as an innocent plan to help kids, which morphed into what turned into 'No Child Left Behind' which may be the biggest Clusterschmuck that was imposed on education in this country.