cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

It started before you were conceived

You didn't notice federal government involvement in education before Carter reformed the Deponent of health education and welfare?   It started with the Homestead Act--

From google--A previous Department of Education was created in 1867 but soon was demoted to an Office in 1868.[3] As an agency not represented in the president's cabinet, it quickly became a relatively minor bureau in the Department of the Interior. In 1939, the bureau was transferred to the Federal Security Agency, where it was renamed the Office of Education. In 1953, the Federal Security Agency was upgraded to cabinet-level status as the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.   HEW--  That was during Eisenhowers administration.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: It started before you were conceived

From Wikipedia.

Upgrading Education to cabinet level status in 1979 was controversial and opposed by many in the Republican Party, who saw the department as unconstitutional, arguing that the Constitution doesn't mention education, and deemed it an unnecessary and illegal federal bureaucratic intrusion into local affairs.

Read my post, I believe my comment was with Federal meddling in Education.

Can you tell me, just how much Federal funds local school districts got before Carter?  My dad was on our local school district, and his memory is Zero, but they did get some State funding.  Wheter the State got reimbursed by the Feds, I do not know.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: While I'm thinking about it

Do you lack intelligence and imagination because you were educated in a public school?

The point of my message was that we did big things together with Government playing a big part in it. You want a smaller government when none of those big things would have ever got done without government involvement.

Just imagine the big things we can do if we pull together to make life better for humanity. Unless of course you are a small man with limited vision.

The difference is the ideological bent of survival of the fittest and to hell with the rest.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Correction.  We are not crawling on our knees to the chinese. We have bond auctions and they bid on them. Some Americans actually have money to invest in bonds if the fed didn't try so hard to depress interest rates.

Rail service is capitalism at best. They focus on moving heavy freight because that is where the money is. They ignore the passenger freight business because there is losses to be had. Besides who want to ride a train that stops at every herky jerky town along the way

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Yeah, we could do Solyndra. George Kaiser survives will the tax payers are left to dry.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

So should the government subsidies the railway for the handful of people who do want to stop in evey little town? May be they could buy a car and pay their own way.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

My thoughts are the Fed is keeping rates down, not to keep American investors out, but because a rise in interest rates would cause the collapse of the American economy to come by that much faster.