Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Who are you?

8 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Who is Trump?

More important, as he's cleverly not yet given many clues.

Other than deporting hispanics which it seems that he'd have to do after making it the cornerstone of his campaign so far, what are his intentions?

Hints so far might point toward a Huey Long type populist dictator. Long's strength was the poor whites of Depression era Louisiana and he did soak the coastal and delta elites to pay for public projects and patronage.

Blacks were largely immaterial as most were refused the vote in one way or another, generally polices that preceded his reign.

As far as Trump's astute nose for what's in the wind that seems the way the times might direct him- Free Stuff For Real Americans sounds like the winning pitch.

I'm just not sure about the demographics and group identity dynamic compared to 1930s Louisiana.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Who is Trump?

@hardnox wrote:

More important, as he's cleverly not yet given many clues.

Other than deporting hispanics which it seems that he'd have to do after making it the cornerstone of his campaign so far, what are his intentions?

Hints so far might point toward a Huey Long type populist dictator. Long's strength was the poor whites of Depression era Louisiana and he did soak the coastal and delta elites to pay for public projects and patronage.

Blacks were largely immaterial as most were refused the vote in one way or another, generally polices that preceded his reign.

As far as Trump's astute nose for what's in the wind that seems the way the times might direct him- Free Stuff For Real Americans sounds like the winning pitch.

I'm just not sure about the demographics and group identity dynamic compared to 1930s Louisiana.

We know who Hillary is and we know who Bernie is. Trump is like Obama care. We will have to elect him to see whats in him.

Advisor

The tricky, but I don't think insurmountable shift that Trump has to make is to convince your basic Joe the Plumber that maybe Bill O'Reilly looking disdainful while he talks about The Politics of Envy is BS for him, which it is.

He (joe) may turn on the financial elite and El Donaldo will keep a safe space for him to hate liberals and other types as elites as well, so no problem there. Just expanding the universe of resentment.

All of this probably won't happen without sharply rising economic insecurity. Which I won't rule out.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@hardnox wrote:

The tricky, but I don't think insurmountable shift that Trump has to make is to convince your basic Joe the Plumber that maybe Bill O'Reilly looking disdainful while he talks about The Politics of Envy is BS for him, which it is.

He (joe) may turn on the financial elite and El Donaldo will keep a safe space for him to hate liberals and other types as elites as well, so no problem there. Just expanding the universe of resentment.

All of this probably won't happen without sharply rising economic insecurity. Which I won't rule out.

What he has to do is build a wall.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Who are you?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2016/01/09/vote-for-trump-...

No doubt that a Trump/Hillary matchup would pit the two highest "negatives" ever. A lot of crossover, certain groups "energized", others disgusted and not voting.

Makes it near impossible to handicap even more than all are at this point.

Highlighted
Advisor

What it does imply is more disaffected people and more who are urgently and partisanly engaged-

"the best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity."

Another four years, or so, of gridlock with rising social tensions. A period akin to the late 1850s, building more pressure before the gasket blows.

The Clinton/DLC lock on the Democratic Party (democrat, if you're on the line with Rush) can be blamed equally.

Highlighted
Advisor

My point being that I doubt that alone will get him much farther.

My guess, and I'll admit there are other possibilities, is that the most logial place is to go fullblown populist demagogue. Which he's kind of hinted at from time to time but hasn't clarified.

Highlighted
Advisor

Whoever it is will be a one termer.

And whatever their personal ambitions, they're destined to be James Buchanan.

He probably was one of our most feckless presidents as history, as now written, suggests. But destiny is mostly timing and at that point I doubt that Lincoln, TR, any of the more historically revered would have made any difference in a country that was determined to tear itself apart.