cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Who says there are no jobs out there?

This is a help wanted listing on the local craigslist,  I'm not making this up. 

looking for someone who works hard and is trust worthy to help on a dairy farm,,, work is hard and days are long and pay is little. looking for someone who is willing to work long term. cant pay that much but will teach you all i know. must have own way to work and be able to work long hours 7 days a week. farm exp. a plus but not as important as the willing to learn and be able to work with out someone to watching over shoulder. email me with your general information and phone number and i will decide if you are what iam looking for. thanks

11 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Who says there are no jobs out there?

Little money, long hours, 7 days a week.  Not even room and board. 

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

He probably was looking for someone to take over his job, with the same perks he has.

Personally speaking, there are plenty of job openings here.  The unemployment rate for Nebraska is about 4%, and if you take Omaha out of the picture (losing jobs across the river to Council Bluffs because of Mayor Suttle's poor money management, and who's only answer to a budget shortfall is 'raise taxes'), I think it is probably half that.  I can't think of a solitary person I know who wants to work, who hasn't got a job, and I know plenty of people who are doing overtime, because there are vacancies that aren't filled, so others have to work a little extra to make up for it.

Highlighted
Advisor

The real UE rate in Ohio is probably around 18%.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

It reminds me of the hired hand that quit on a local dairy man in my home town. His parting words were that he was promised a full time job and he wasn't doing a **bleep** thing between midnight and 4 o'clock in the morning!

Highlighted
Advisor

What if you threw out Dayton, Akron, Cleveland, Cincinnatti and Toledo? I'll leave Columbus in since NE farmer didn't include Lincoln. Not proportional considering how big Columbus is,, but as about as sensical as his proposition.

On a serious note (I hope you'll take it that way), it's tough enough to look at the situation here in the upper MW and 7-8% unemployment and ever and ever lousier compensation for very many jobs. And a general contraction moving in on us big time as it is nearly everywhere but it is really tragic to see what is becoming of the industrial and manufacturing base in the eastern great lakes and eastern corn belt. Had a 50 to 100 year head start on the praries and a real advantage in the economic basis, with everything made and grown seemingly having it's consumers and procurers home grown or right next door. Now I suppose the way those numbers play it simply means that the hardware is just that much more used up. That the middle class certainly has to have  been shrinking for considerably longer.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The point I was trying to make, was there is VERY low unemployment, once you get out of the big cities of Nebraska, such as Omaha.  For example, the unemployment statewide is 4.1%, while the unemployment in just Omaha is almost 5%. 

Lincoln is 3.8

— Beatrice: 5.1, 5.3

— Columbus: 3.6, 4.0

— Fremont: 4.3, 4.8

— Grand Island: 3.7, 4.1

— Hastings: 3.9, 4.2

— Kearney: 3.2, 3.5

— Lexington: 4.4, 4.8

— Norfolk: 3.7, 4.0

— North Platte: 3.5, 3.8

— Red Willow: 3.6, 3.9

— Scotts Bluff: 4.6, 4.9

So when you figure these cities make up probably 75% or more of the State's population, think what the actual unemployment rate in the rural areas would have to be.  I'm not sure, but I'd guess to be under 3%.

Highlighted
Advisor

The urban centers are actually a bit better than the rural on average. The worst are the counties in the south and east, u3 as high as 16%, real ue probably around 25%
Highlighted
Advisor

For some reason or other I was aware of that. (Maybe you?). I expect that's where we are headed. If your not within 10-15 miles of one of the reasonably sizable pop centers the jobs are drying up and it's becoming more expensive to live all the time. That's a changing trend. Housing is cheap but gets worth considerably less with each transaction.

Is what you describe sort of like Appalachia stooling out?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

The only temporary jobs I hated were working in an old iron foundry and milking cows.   Thankfully both were summer jobs.   In the foundry the pouring floor temperature was 115 F and I worked adjacent to the furnace where it was 130 degrees.   At the end of the shift you couldn't tell if you were black or white because of all the graphite.  The environment was better milking cows but the hours were horrible and you always had to choose between a reasonable night life and getting any sleep.   I'm sure there are jobs just as bad; shaft coal mining is a likely prime candidate although pay would be attractive, but the experience convinced me that I was going to mightily try for a different and hopefully better life.