cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
27 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Who the heck will this be?

Krystal isn`t thinking this through, because let`s say they get Bloomberg or Cuban to run...but Trump wins anyway and that is possible because who knows how this "sour grapes" will play out with the electorate.  I don`t think one can assume that a 3rd party candidate would automatically have 20% or even 2% and it may peel vote for vote from Hillary too.

But let`s say the best that a Krystal 3rd party could hope for is it would defeat Trump and get Hillary elected by proxy.  A big share of the GOP would be angrier than they already are with the establishment and it would take many cycles to win any trust back.  I mean like it or not the people spoke and Trump won the GOP nomination, any deviation from that will be seen as spoiled bratism.

The best that the Krystal crowd can hope for is that Hillary will win and they can say "See, we told you so!" or if Trump wins, the Krystal crowd can hope and pray for a severe recession (which I think is highly likely regardless).

The Romneys and Wills and Krystals need to understand they had their chance and blew it with us.  The left will never welcome them into their tent.  That establishment`s firends ONLY come from us conservatives that support them as a "lesser evil" and that is the most they will ever be.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/bill-kristol-announces-that-there-will-be-an-independent...

One of the comment quotes was from FDR - "Presidents are selected, not elected"

r3020
Senior Advisor

Krystal wants a third party candidate to take enough electoral votes to keep any of them from getting 270. The election would then go to the house of representatives. Who knows what happens then.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I hadn`t thought of that angle.  If it did go to the House and they didn`t support the Republican nominee (Trump) there`d be hell to pay.  The people and more importantly Republican voters, they want Trump.  It seems it would be easier to explain "fair is fair, I had to go with the nominee" rather than explain how Trump won the nomination, yet it`s Mitt Romney sitting in the Whitehouse.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

They really aren't bound to trump. For certain the republican party should back Donald Trump but as individuals they aren't required to vote or support Donald Trump. As far as I know I can support Bernie Donald Hillary or Romney regardless of my party affiliation.

Like Dole said, "I just may over sleep on election day." I imagine that over the years a great many stayed away from the ballot box because they weren't satisfied witjh the party choice.

Imagine the Barrack Obama congress that wasn't satisfied with the public's and decided to oppose him for 8 long years. just because you win the nomination, that doesn't mean youve have won public support.

sw363535
Honored Advisor

If it draws even greater distinction between what the public votes for and what congress and the public employees do, then it will get very interesting and in the long run, possibly, and maybe we will see more elections that are not determined by the "party" or the media...

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

If Romney felt so strong about being POTUS, he should have ran in the

primaries against Trump and been part of the circus...I mean, debates

Really, if Romney had a set of nuts in his sack, he would have told Fatty

Candy Crowley off in the debates when she called him a liar, and stood

his ground and shut her up.

Trump understands the media and how they are not his friend...If Romney

couldn't grasp that simple tidbit, did he really think he was up to negotiating

with Killers like Putin.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well, if Bill Krystol`s idea is to somehow deny Trump 270 eletoral votes in the general by a 3rd party that peels away 5% of Trump`s votes...that`s playing with nitroglycerine because first of all it might get Hillary elected and never even make it to congress.  If it`s the "people`s will" that Trump not be president, simply then "the people" will give Hillary 270 or more elector votes.

But let`s say it goes to congress and they of course would reject Hillary, how then the the congressperson face their constitutients if they put in anyone other than Trump who will be the GOP nominee?    Oh, technically they can do it, but if their congressional district voted for Trump, how do the get re-elected by appointing say "Romney" in that case?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

It`s about damned time Trump calls out this sleezy media...I am so proud of Donald Trump today!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4920893257001/trump-lashes-out-at-sleazy-media-over-campaign-reporting/?#...

bruce MN
Advisor

Forgotten....and no small factor in the discussion is...

...The Libertarian Party just put up a fairly stellar ticket. And don't discount Ms. Stein with The Greens. Those could pull more votes out of the pool than we are used to seeing the past few rounds. Best result scenario is still Hillary dropping out before the convention and then some combo of Sanders, Biden and Warren blowing the doors off of Trump and sending the GOP as we know it to Perdition for a nice little time out. Let all of you White Nationalists and other wannabe fascists get yourselves organized and clearly delineated outside of the cover of a once dignified standing party