cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Who wins the trade war??

A look at some of the winners and losers in the trade war with China.

One of the losers is China BUT

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/trade-war-winners-everyone-but-america-by-daniel-gros-2...

The losses are likely to be larger for the US than for China, because Chinese imports from the US include a larger share of agricultural commodities for which alternative suppliers are relatively easy to find. For example, China can import soybeans from Brazil instead of the US, at little additional cost. Moreover, Chinese countervailing measures have been more moderate; there is little prospect of a blanket 25% tariff on US imports.

All in all, the Sino-US trade war may lead to some losses for China, but those losses will likely be dwarfed by the costs incurred by the US itself. Meanwhile, the rest of the world may well have reason to wish both sides a long and fruitful conflict.

24 Replies
Advisor

Re: Who wins the trade war??

Senior Contributor

Re:Bible vs Boulevard

US gave a bible to the Parliament, China opened a new road they and constructed.

Guess who one the propaganda war in the opening round!

Senior Contributor

Re:Others can read labels too

Made in the USA has a certain flavour of pumpkin lately.

Honored Advisor

All you need to know

Zero is MUCH better than ANY of the numbers on this chart. 

How `bout we just go back to "1992"?    Is that too much to ask of the human rights violating nation?

Senior Advisor

China. Where workers have zero rights and the rivers burn. That's how the rich get richer and peasants die. Is Trudeau fine with that?

Advisor

Read some where, can't find it quickly, China is cutting protein in hog rations from 20% to 17%.  Seems without US beans they can't source enough protein.  That would appear to be a hidden cost. "Little additional cost" adds up at the volume they consume.  Having said that I do not know how this will end up, but we have much work to do by both countries to iron this out.  And it will take  much time to bring markets back.

Senior Contributor

a war is multiple battles, we've spent 17 years in the Middle East and same in Vietnam, I think it's a little early to decide winners and losers in a so-called trade war.

Senior Contributor

China is cutting protein in hog rations from 20% to 17%

Only swine ration I have ever seen with 20% protein would be for weaner pigs for a few weeks at most.

That would not 'save' many tonnes of meal or soybeans.

Where the quantities of feed are used in breeding stock and especially finisher rations the % would be 12-14  already unless they were just wasting protein to help the US soybean growers before the trade war.

Advisor

Half the world's weaners being cut back even a few weeks adds up. Any way my point was they are cutting protein use so lack of US beans must be costing them.