cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katzenjammer12
Senior Contributor

Electoral College

I am in favor of continuing the electoral college.

Yes, I've said several times I favor a direct vote.  I've changed my mind.  The reason I support the electoral college is because if forces candidates to campaign in every electoral subset.  Rigfht now, that specifically means rural areas.  

If the electoral college did not exist the rural areas would be overwhelmed by the urban vote.

Republics are one way to avoid the tyranny of the majority.  We have a number of subsets of society who would always be oppressed if the majority always ruled without a meaningful way for minorities to push back.

My county has a large urban center.  County supervisors are elected by direct vote.  Each person can vote for each supervisor vacancy.  As a result, there are no rural supervisors and have not been for over 30 years.  That means that the urban areas get the bulk of the money and infrastructure attention.  County zoning laws are written to favor urban interests.  I'd love to be in a position to have at least one rural superisor so that at least the rural intersest would have a vote and a better mouthpiece.  Yes, each individual farmer can go to a meeting and speak his piece, but let's get real, the city supervisors smile, nod and go on with their business.

AllenJwi
Senior Contributor

Re: Electoral College

Finally someone that gets it.

man of steel
Senior Contributor

Re: Why Hillary Lost

Edmund55 wrote:

It does make one wonder however, should the Worls Series be determined by which team scores the most runs over a 7 game series, or won by the first team to win 4 games.

There are many maroons and buffoons and this election has brought them to the forefront.

Great analogy

man of steel
Senior Contributor

@Katzenjammer12 wrote:

I am in favor of continuing the electoral college.

Yes, I've said several times I favor a direct vote.  I've changed my mind.

Welcome back to the United States

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

allen I take it you did not refer to me when yousaid someone 'gets it'

What you want to ignore and spin around is the FACT that more people voted for Clinton than voted for Trump.

That is what I keep saying and that FACT does not change.

Yes Trump got the prize because of the system which ironically HE said was rigged.

But of course when I point out those FACTS you will not accept them as true and try to spin it into something it is not.

Just look at the facts as I have posted them and forget trying to justify how my posted FACTS mean something that they do not say or point to.

You can all justify how it is 'right' that Trump won the prize but the FACTS still say Clinton won the votes and the (rigged, in Trumps words) system gave him the prize.

AllenJwi
Senior Contributor

You have your chicken crap constitution and we have ours. Go pound sand!!!

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Yes allen we all have problems with how our systems work but those of you arguing against what I have been saying are trying to ignore what I have posted that is a FACT, Clinton won the popular vote and your system gave the prize to Trump!

Trump who told everyone before the election that the system was "rigged" he did not point out that it was "rigged" to benefit him.

And that is a FACT too.

Edmund55
Senior Contributor

(Clinton won the popular vote and your system gave the prize to Trump!)

"There are 0 electoral votes in the State of denial"  (Thiessen)

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Right you are but Clinton got more votes than Trump in the country of the USA

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Why Hillary Lost

Hey havy, "...the highest standard of living for the most people as well as the most freedom.". I thought you are saying we are in really bad shape here and trump is going to make America great again and lead us to the promised land.