cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Why abortion is not freedom and prolife is not religion.

Two concepts that rule our world:

the philosophy of natural rights, upon which our government is founded.

science, rules that govern our interaction with the world.

Under the concept of natural rights, i.e. "we hold these truths self evident......life,",  every individual human has the right to be alive within their being simply by being human.   It's not a provable concept, but it is the foundation of our entire governmental system.

a branch of science concerns itself with determining what an organism is, biology.  Using science and technology derived from it, who would deny that a fetus is a human.   Science also tells us that the basic test for determining whether an organism is living or not is the existence of cellular respiration.   Which certainly exists in a fetus.

So, science tells us that a fetus is human and is alive.   Natural rights instructs us that all humans inherently have the right to be alive.

Abortion advocates have to reject either science or natural rights.    If they are anti science then I suppose abortion is their religion.   If they reject natural rights then they accept that they have no right to be alive themselves.

33 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Why abortion is not freedom and prolife is not religion.

Excellent logic.  But abortion advocates deny a common logic. They only want the right to kill irresponsibly. 

Senior Advisor

They want to have sex irresponsibly.  They want abortion for their convenience.

Contributor

Let's get all the facts on the table.  Abortionists want the right to choose the fate of the fetus to rest with the mother and anti-abortionist say the fetus has rights.  Anti-abortionist are willing to make exceptions in some cases such as incest, rape, and concerning the life of the mother carrying the fetus.  It appears both sides want to play God. 

Senior Advisor

Not about God. It's about human rights and science.

Senior Contributor

First natural rights theory is not fact, its the agreement we live by, one most correct for humans I believe but you can believe differently and be just as right.  But what you can't do is demand that people not kill you while wanting that protection withheld from others.    At least not if you wish to act consistently. 

If you agree that we live under natural rights theory then you can see that a mother has no more right to take the life of her child than she does any other person.    But what she does have is the right to defend her own life.   If the life within her will kill her she has as much right to kill it as if her 20 year old child attacked her with a knife.

Senior Contributor

@r3020 wrote:

They want to have sex irresponsibly.  They want abortion for their convenience.

I think most view it as a way to get rid of unwanted children, other peoples unwanted children not their own.   I just don't think they ever stop to think what that really means. 

Senior Contributor

Now that we have very reliable DNA testing I propose that all fathers should be legally compelled to pay child support up through the age of 23 (grad school).

That could arguably include maternity costs and compensation for the inconvenience and discomfort experienced by the recip carrier of their spawn.

At least they would either pay the wages of sin or learn to avoid the Lair of the Harlot.

Senior Contributor

The Originalism thing.

Jefferson was the prime source of "natural law" in the founding documents. I suppose that his children born of his property- Sally Hemmings- did enjoy those inalienable rights in utero?

I'm not at all inclined to accept the initial assertion- that a fetus in early stages of development is fully human although there is clearly a point on the continuum between conception and parturition where the precautionary principle says no. Somewhere significantly before it is clear.

I think that under current practice in the US and Canada, that is largely the case- there are very few elective late term abortions, although your POTUS and other radicals like to pretend otherwise.

The late, great Romanian Libertarian Nikolae Ceausescu banned contraception and abortion and actually required monthly gynecological exams for women of child bearing age. All it did was totally mess up the relationships of men, women and families. It did not raise the birth rate substantially.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decree_770

Senior Contributor

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2014/dec/10/-sp-ceausescus-children

Correction- birth rate did increase substantially although with considerable external costs.

I suppose if you can figure out how to lebensborn just for white folks then maybe "they won't replace us."