cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Why be critical of the Canucks or the Brits

For the existance of a monarchy. It's still self determination no matter how you slice it. They could throw off the yoke of the monarchy if they chose to do so.  I suspect most citizens wish to continue as they are because of tradition. One which they choose to preserve.

I don't think the Royals are oppressing the people and I suspect those brits and canucks are just as frewe as we are. The monachy remains because the people want them to remain.

9 Replies
Samnospam
Advisor

Re: Why be critical of the Canucks or the Brits

Sure for the most part, if a person wishes to remain the subject of a monarch that is their business. I believe all people are born equal, the thought that someone is born as a lord over others is offensive.
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Sam, you must have never heard about the "big ape" theory. In the jungle, there is one ape that rules over

the others and the other males are subservient to this "big ape". Liberal men seem to subscribe to this and

want a king wannabe to tell them what to do. They don't like independence.

BIll Clinton, JFK, LBJ, FDR.....all of these liberal icons were "big apes" with their fan bases. I don't see that with

conservatives....we tolerate our leaders but certainly don't idolize them.

Weird how this works. And unsettling, too.

johnaa
Advisor

Why be critical of the Canucks or the Brits or other subjects

Spoiler

For one thing, turn around is fair play. ;-)  90 % of their posts are about how inferior we are, much like chauvinists everywhere

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I think Brittain`s monarchy is just a expensive "figure head" they have a Prime Minister and Parliament to do the ruling.  I actually wouldn`t have a problem being ruled by a just Christian King, if they get out of line, you lob the King`s head off...it couldn`t be any worse than this "Representative Democracy" in which the masses have figured out how to vote their way into the taxpayer`s backpocket.   Here`s a video on the co-called wonderfull Queen and Monarchy in Brittain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vrsfll_QLUw#!

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

If you knew half as much as you think you do

You would be absolutely brilliant. Alas, you aren't.

Samnospam
Advisor

I can kind of understand that, but to worship someone as the alpha male just cause who their mommy was is a bit freakin ridiculous.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Samnospam wrote:

I can kind of understand that, but to worship someone as the alpha male just cause who their mommy was is a bit freakin ridiculous.

Kind of reminds you of Chelsea Clinton.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

This country has the Queen as the boss but in reality, she has nothing to do with the running of the country, at all.  It is pure tradition and the people had a vote on it some years ago, and decided to keep it. 

You trumpet about how you broke the shackles, blah blah , but to what end. It is not as if your type of republicanism or democracy is worth exporting to other nations  and don't forget it was those vile kings and queens who lent the US a heap of money in the early days before things got going properly.  But all that doesn't matter.  People who under a monarchy like ours do not care for it too much.  Those under repressive govenments who preach they are kings, etc, like african dictatorships, well . they might have a different view.

Strangley though, when Charles and Diana travelled to the US, they were greeted with open arms and treated like --------------- royalty? 

Just thinking - King Obama.  That has a nice south african ring to it, don't you think?

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

I do not think most here see the difference in our systems.

In a constitutional monarchy the real power is in the hands of the Prime Minister and his/her cabinet.

They are not elected to that job by the people all across the country but just by the people in their riding. the party that they represent elects them as their leader and therefore the party with the most seats in Parliament select the Prime Minister.

The Prime Minister can be changed by the party if he/she loses the confidence of their party and this can be done without an election.

When an election is called the Prime Minister is in legal limbo so we need a legal symbolic 'leader' to be the head of government.

The Queen works for us and no President to worship.

And Gough pointed out that when Charles visited the US and William just recently that they were treated like...........Royalty. And they are both 1 and 2 steps from the throne.