cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
13 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Why didn’t the DA go to Syria?

He's a worthless peace of crap because he didn't visit the troops but a worthless peace of crap because he did.

Senior Contributor

Ha Ha.

I would think the troops in Syria already got the best xmas present they could have.  The war party that Bruce is now a part of is not happy.  But here is Bruce's silver lining to the sad prospect of less war, from Taibbi:

Unless Donald Trump decides to reverse his decision to begin withdrawals from Syria and Afghanistan, cable news for the next few weeks is going to be one long Scanners marathon of exploding heads.

“Today’s decision would cheer Moscow, ISIS, and Iran!” yelped Nicole Wallace, former George W. Bush communications director.

“Maybe Trump will bring Republicans and Democrats together,” said Bill Kristol, on MSNBC, that “liberal” channel that somehow seems to be populated round the clock by ex-neocons and Pentagon dropouts.

Kristol, who has rarely ever been in the ballpark of right about anything — he once told us Iraq was going to be a “two month war” — might actually be correct.

Trump’s decisions on Syria and Afghanistan will lay bare the real distinctions in American politics. Political power in this country is not divided between right and left, and not even between rich and poor.

The real line is between a war party, and everyone else.

This is why Kristol is probably right. The Democrats’ plan until now was probably to impeach Trump in the House using at minimum some material from the Michael Cohen case involving campaign-finance violations.

That plan never had a chance to succeed in the Senate, but now, who knows? Troop withdrawals may push a collection of hawkish Republicans like Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio, Ben Sasse and maybe even Mitch McConnell into another camp.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-syria-withdrawal-772177/

Veteran Advisor

He picked a safe spot to visit troops. I’m glad he visited some troops but where is very telling.
Advisor

Finally got the chance to read it.

The Primary message in it and The Nation piece you posted is the overarching effect of neoconservatism post Cold War, mightily enhanced around the events of 9-11.  90% Presidential approval is tough to defuse, but most particularly easy to build off of and co-opt.  The neos had no problem recruiting religious conservatives, cultural separatists, just about anybody who had a gripe with anyone who might have been inherently anti-War. AKA liberal.

That got us to here.  Kristol, Max Boot, David Brooks etc etc.  All neoconservative Republicans have no standing.  They were in the China Shop right along with Feith, Wolfowitz etal

Fun  to see you inspired by Tiabbi. A real libertarian firebrand.

Senior Contributor

funny

how people read something and take away only what they want.   You thought the message was about how evil R's are, I thought it was about his concluding sentence:

We’re about to have a very graphic demonstration of the near-total uniformity of the political class when it comes to the military and its role. The war party is ready for a coming-out party.

I think that fact is pretty clearly illustrated by your cheerleading (yes, we remember) the destruction of the stable country of Libya, and your desire for Obama's (which he backed out of) invasion of Syria.   Its likely most of the abject fear of Trump in the ruling class has always been about how he talked of America assuming a more peaceful role in the world.  Can't let that happen.   Amazing how they've convinced the progs that one of their own is the worst person on the planet.

Advisor

Re: funny

Now that we’ve been graced with these libertarian docs from The Nation, Kunstler and Tiabbi I for one am patiently anticipating your submissions from Glen Greenwald, Alexander Cockburn, Chris Hedges and Noam Chomsky. 

Senior Contributor

Posted Greenwald many times, Hedges a few, Chomsky at least once as I recall.

Progs that think outside of their programming are always interesting, even if just to annoy you that can't.

Advisor

Been thinking about those folks.  And going back and doing considerable reading.  And of how you frame things.

None of them, nothing of which they write seems to suggest anarchy and the demolition of democracy or, for that matter, participatory capitalism as a solution  to their many real and learned objections and general concerns.

Keep working the LP booth at the county fair.  I generally score rather high on that venn quiz they offer, btw.  But sliding all-in with authoritarianism and ethnic and cultural miscreants isn’t going to be practical.

Advisor

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/04/andrew-sullivan-why-the-reactionary-right-must-be-taken-serio...

Greenwald contributes to The Intelligencer as well, so maybe OK for you then.