cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Why do I support wage increases

Because I want working people to share in the promise of america. In fact a robust economy with good wages is better for everybody. Yes even businessmen can benefit from a customer base with money in their pocket.

There are so many that blame high prices of consumer goods because of high wages. Price is established by sales competition. Cost of production has little influence on price. Ask the corn farmers and bean farmers, don't ask me.

Do you think doctors lawyers hospitals drug makers could lower costs and still profit? Of course they could, just like we can sell corn and beans for less than $7 or $14. I'm not blaming my hired hand for the high corn and bean prices. I still wouldn't sell it cheaper if the buyers are willing to pay more or the hired hand worked for nothing. 

For the life of me I cannot understand why farmers for the most part are anti labor.  Laboring folks are your customers. They buy food and fiber on a regular basis. Whether it be steaks or hamburger. We wouldn't you want them to climb the ladder of prosperity. Do you think it endangers your own road to prosperity? What is it that has you in such a dither over labor rates. I know you do not like $80 per rates at the JD stores but every facet of the JD store is a profit center and you can bet you sweet patootie that the technician is drawing a fraction of that for the actual labor. Don't mind business making a profit but would just as soon that the laboring man didn't.

29 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Why do I support wage increases

Excellent post kraft-t...I have been talking about this as well...the working man having a decent wage that moves up with productivity  would be an excellent way to rebuild the working class...corp. profits are at record levels but yet they still insist on cutting labor to gain another pennys profit...what happens when the middle class has no extra money to buy things other than food and essentials(some dont have that now)...what happens??

Senior Advisor

Because you're not paying them.

Senior Contributor

@kraft-t wrote:

Because I want working people to share in the promise of america.

Yet you demonstrably have no idea how business and economies work -- actually LOWERING the rate or doing away with a minimum wage all together would actually improve matters greatly.

“John Harris: Another question from a Politico reader. Do you advocate getting rid of the minimum wage, would that create more jobs?
Ron Paul: Absolutely. It would help the poor people who need jobs. Minimum wage is a mandate. We’re against mandates so why should we have it? It would be very beneficial. Mandates, that’s what the whole society is about, that’s what we do all the time. That’s what government is - mandate, mandate, mandate. We talk so much about the Obama mandate which is very important, but what about Medicare? Isn’t that a mandate? Everything we do is mandate. So, this is why you have to look at this, the cause of liberty. We don’t need the government running our lives.” — September 7, 2011, Ronald Reagan Library: Reagan Republican Presidential Debate

Let me explain why Ron Paul is right.  The typical proposal from lawmakers is usually just more of the standard Keynesian tinkering, which typically includes increasing counter-cyclical benefits for jobless workers, some additional infrastructure spending -- and a few vaguely defined tax breaks for "small businesses".  Now let's discuss the minimum wage.  Back in 2007, Congress enacted a three-stage increase in the minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25, the last installment of which took effect July 2009.  This was done with the best of intentions of course, but what it meant in practical terms was that at the height of a savage recession, the government essentially imposed a substantial tax increase on hiring.  No wonder the unemployment rate amongst your beloved Black teenage males is at an all-time high of 67 percent!  Who would ever hire them if you had to pay them $7.25 an hour for what they can do?  Now generally, the impact of minimum wage laws on employment is, as you can tell, a hotly debated subject -- but the overall sweep of economic research supports the prediction of economic theory (and indeed common sense) which states that raising the price of labor will reduce hiring.  In a 2008 survey of decades of minimum-wage literature, economists David Neumark of the University of California, Irvine and William L. Wascher of the Federal Reserve Board confirmed that minimum wage laws do indeed reduce job opportunities for less-skilled workers and even tend to reduce their earnings.  If Obama and Congress were really as serious as they say they are about reducing unemployment, they would at least be willing to discuss rolling back the minimum wage increase.  It would create some jobs for those who need them most -- and it would not cost taxpayers one dime.  Yes, those who get hired at a reduced minimum wage would have to work for less, but at least they'd be working.  http://ftp.iza.org/dp2570.pdf

Senior Contributor

@UNIranch wrote:

Excellent post kraft-t...I have been talking about this as well.

Please read this.

Senior Contributor

Re: i agree

move up with productivity and down with lack of --there by all gov people would be lowered --most teachers --great idea uni--wanna debate or run

Senior Advisor

Listen young fellow, I've been doing business for decades before you were a twinkle i  your daddy's eye. I have probably forgot more about business than you ever knew.

If we had $4 per hour minimum wage we would have millions of workers locked in a perpetual jobs at  minimum wage instead of $7 per hour.

Now we have heard your sermon regularly since the early 1980's as the old trickle down theory. Let business make a buck and keep it and their will be jobs and a robust economy and the old rising all boats argument. Maybe youbuy into that crappola but the last 30 years has pretty well confirmed what that crappola is. Bull Scat!

Senior Advisor

Do you think an old retired man must give up his right to an opinion?

Senior Contributor

Re: depends on where his ck comes from

if he is at the gov slop trough opinon doesnt count

Senior Contributor

Re: minumum wages starve people

what happens to prices when wages  go up --so people at the bottom of the ladder cant buy food or other needs --but starving people has been a staple of demorat theory for years --come on adult libs please try me