cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

Why is it?

The president no longer needs congress to approve of his deals with other countries or the UN? Now he makes a deal and it takes 2/3 of congress to kill the deal. Is this the John Boehner legacy?

15 Replies
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Re: Why is it?

Boehner was a decent man that was not a match for Pelosi, Reid, and Obama.

the lawlessness of the Obama administration sits a tone for our nation that does not bode well. 

Liberals especially should welcome a return to a rule of law.

HortonGordelson
Senior Contributor

Fundamental transformation

OKdon
Senior Contributor

Lawlessness?   Where is the indictment? Where is the impeachment?  ALL BLOW AND NO GO. You haven't a leg to stand on. If you did you could get a job at IHOP.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@OKdon wrote:

Lawlessness?   Where is the indictment? Where is the impeachment?  ALL BLOW AND NO GO. You haven't a leg to stand on. If you did you could get a job at IHOP.

When and how did this change occur? When was the president given these new powers and can that power be stripped from him and given back to congress? The president is suppose to negotiate treaties and then they must be either approved or rejected by congress.

bruce MN
Advisor

OKdon
Senior Contributor

Re:IT IS NOT A TREATY!!

NT

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

This article explains it, but you said it yourself when you called it a "deal" rather than a treaty. I think it's a gray area that needs clarification, but apparently Congress isn't too bothered - they would rather work on shutting the government down or squabble about where Obama was born and who can or can't bake a cake for who than handle international problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_Clause

(sorry, but I had to use Wiki to find it all in one place)

r3020
Senior Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

This article explains it, but you said it yourself when you called it a "deal" rather than a treaty. I think it's a gray area that needs clarification, but apparently Congress isn't too bothered - they would rather work on shutting the government down or squabble about where Obama was born and who can or can't bake a cake for who than handle international problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_Clause

(sorry, but I had to use Wiki to find it all in one place)

In other words congress has given away it's power over treaties and will probably never regain that power. They have shifted that power to the UN. We've been screwed again.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Hey all you rightie morons, do you still think the president negotiated this deal with Iran all by himself?? What about the other four countries? So when the next president hoes to kill this deal, they will just just go home.