cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Why isn't Gary Johnson in the debates?

Since Minnesota won't honor a Ron Paul write in vote, I have been looking at alternatives and what is the deal on this Gary Johnson and why won't they let him debate?

And why can't you write in the vote of the guy you want for Presidential elections? Are we worse than Russia?

http://www.dailypaul.com/256454/wow-gary-johnson-polling-106-in-ohio-was-45?from=lbp

5 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Why isn't Gary Johnson in the debates?

Not that I agree, just posting the info. There has to be some limits or there could be hundreds in the debates.

snip-

The Commission on Presidential Debates, which has run every Presidential and Vice-Presidential debate for the past 24 years, was formed after the League Of Women Voters refused to sponsor the 1988 debates after it became aware that the Bush and Dukakis campaigns had agreed among themselves to an “understanding” that would exclude third-party candidates from the debates. The commission itself was formed by Frank Fahrenkopf, a former head of the Republican National Committee, and Paul Kirk, a former head of the Democratic National Committee, a fact that has led many to allege, with some justification I would submit, that the CPD was really just a tool of the two major parties. Under Commission rules, a candidate will only be invited to appear at the debates if they meet these three criteria:

• The candidate is Constitutionally eligible to serve as President (or, as applicable, Vice-President);
  • The candidate has achieved ballot access in a sufficient number of states to comprise at least 270 Electoral Votes; and,
  • The candidate has the support of at least 15% of the population based on the results of polls by five pollsters selected by the Commission.

Johnson satisfies the first two criteria, but does not satisfy the third given that the highest he has polled nationally recently has ranged between 1% and 2%.

In all likelihood, this lawsuit will not be successful, just as other challenges to debate rules set by private organizations have been unsuccessful. That doesn’t mean there isn’t some merit to the argument, though. Here we have an organization effectively controlled by the two major parties that effectively controls the four most important events of the General Election campaign season. On some level it’s unfair to the candidates and to the American public to exclude alternative points of view and, more importantly, it strikes me as a serious conflict of interest for the major political parties to be the ones that control the debate. At the very least, the public would be better served if organizing these debates were back in the hands of an independent organization like the League of Women Voters.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/libertarian-gary-johnson-files-suit-to-gain-access-to-presidential-...

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Because Romney doesn't want him in the debates. He didn't want him in the nominating debates either nor did they want Buddy Roemer.

Highlighted
Advisor

How can mn justify not honoring write-ins?
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

In Illinois if your name is not on the write in list of names for that particular race the name written in will not be counted.

Basically you are not on the ballot because you put your name in the race to late. 

You may cast a write-in vote for a candidate whose name is not on the ballot.Write the name of your candidate on the blank line provided directly at the end of the list of candidates for that office. Complete the arrow or fill in the oval next to the name of your write-in candidate. A write-in vote will not be counted for any candidate who has failed to file an Intent to be a Write-in Candidate as prescribed by law.

Highlighted
Advisor

I better hurry and get my dogs name on the list. She's promised a slice of bacon in every food bowl. She's at least as credible as the other candidates.