cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Why society won`t get better in foreseable future.

I encourage all of you to read this article, I`m sure you`d all find the results interesting.

https://www.cato.org/blog/poll-71-americans-say-political-correctness-has-silenced-discussions-socie...   

Here is a little teaser snippet:

Clinton Voters Can`t Be Friends with Trump Voters

Nearly two-thirds (61%) of Hillary Clinton`s voters agree that its hard to be friends with Donald Trump`s voters. However, only 34% of Trump`s voters feel the same way about Clinton`s. Instead, nearly two-thirds (64%) of Trump voters don`t think its hard to be friends with Clinton voters.

It is sad, but this is the state of things today.

10 Replies
Katzenjammer12
Senior Contributor

Re: Why society won`t get better in foreseable future.

It is going to take more than another presidential election cycle or two to have any hope of the American public being able to talk constructively across it's demographic.  Things are going to get worse before they get better.  

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I don`t see how we ever get back to: 2 strangers at a lunch counter and the one says "how do you do? I voted for Jimmy Carter" and the other says "I am fine thank you.  I voted for Gerald Ford, I think I saw you at the VFW last Sunday watching the Vikings".

Ronald Reagan was the last to somewhat bring the country together and that was pulling teeth.    But today the differences are just too pronounced.  2/3rds of Trump voters are open to friendship with a Clinton voter, while only 1/3rd of Hillary voters are open to friendship with a Trump voter, I think we see right there where the problem lies.

wehav
Senior Contributor

Why society won`t get better in foreseeable future.

Simple answer: Democrats.

r3020
Senior Advisor

The intolerant left.

ihmarty543282
Senior Contributor

The loony left.....

bruce MN
Advisor

elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

No it will not, trump keeps stirring the pot to keep the two party's at each other's throats, so neither will
Be looking at him

We need a leader that will bring us together... rather
Than rip us apart.

At the minimum, take away his Twitter machine, and
Let his press department make his comments
And speak for him.

Then maybe EVERYONE will start to heal up.
Packard27
Senior Contributor

My recommended reading for today is: The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why violence has declined (2011) Steven Pinker.

I can forgive all of the charming young rubes who sincerely believe that world history began with their own passing of puberty. It is what they do. Most of these muddle headed adult children could not find the Korean peninsula on a world map and still be within 3000 miles north, south, east, or west of the correct location. Nor could many of them, I suspect state the final year of the American Civil War or WW II and come within a half a century plus or minus of the actual events.

Okay, I got that. Some of our adult kids were born ignorant and then found themselves losing ground as they grew older. For them, everything is always either the best or worst of times depending upon which side of the bed they get up on in the morning or what their Mom may have made them for breakfast.

That, however, is no excuse for all of you Ag.com Bubbas and Bubbettes to go all "Negative Nancy" and "Debbie Downer" on me.  For Americans, these are really (really) good times we are living in right now. We are at peace. We are not having to deal with incurable plagues/viruses/diseases. Our poor people are fat. Many of us are dying of our own material excesses. Crime is down significantly since 1990. Most of us are living longer, much longer than did our own grandparents. The banks are open. Cash is flowing freely and not yet subject to hyperinflation, deflation, or confiscation. Most of us live in 24/7 climate controlled environments with easy access to running potable water, flush toilets, and hot showers.

Let's also not forget about cheap transcontinental phone/ 2-way video services and jet travel. Best of all, you can even have fresh blueberries or peaches on your oatmeal in January. Good stuff!

Any old dogs who do not think these are the very best of times we now live in need to quietly reflect awhile on what life was once like for them and their families just 50 years ago, or 80 years ago for their parents, or as far back as 150 years ago for their great, great grandparents. Great times today and I will hazard to predict, even better times await us a hundred years from now.

elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Your right....if we can afford it, and not blown to
Kingdom come.