cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Why the exemptions to those who supported the law?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/05/obama-skirts-rule-law-reward-pals-punish-foes

"why are more than half of those 3,095,593 in plans run by labor unions, which were among Obamacare's biggest political supporters? Union members are only 12 percent of all employees but have gotten 50.3 percent of Obamacare waivers."

50 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Why the exemptions to those who supported the law?

Laws don't apply to liberals, just us peasants.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Where`s that Kudos button?

Excellent question Wehav, but good luck in getting an answer.

Highlighted
Advisor

It's quite an advantage to be able to apply a cost to your competition that you know you won't have.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I was trying to look up what a "Waiver from Obamacare" actually means and the information I could find on this is pretty scant. From what I can tell, it means that those insurers will not have to publically explain rate increases. Is that what you guys got out of this? Is there more that I can't find because I am not looking in the right place?

Also, there is no actual insurer named "Obamacare" or anything like that. It is rather apparently a set of rules that existing insurers must meet, thus being "waived" from Obama has nothing to do with being waived from signing up for a new or different insurance. It means that not all the rules will apply?

Some of you guys are really up on this issue, so pipe up. What does this REALLY mean?

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Highlighted
Advisor

Thanks....for not much

Was doing some of the same searching that Knapper is and couldn't find much. Could be because nobody knows what to call it since the right made up all of the names and terms that the media now uses...obamacare, death panels etc.

So when I saw your link I went to look and for a few sentences it appeared that the author was going to explain something but it turned out to be just one more idealogy driven rant.

If you find something that actually explains what is going on please share it with us. I [promise to and I'd think that Knapper would also.

Best I can surmise out of it all is that the goal of teh reform was for everybody to have coverage and that there are plans that are fixed in place that are cheaper as they exist and threfore the refrom goal of coverage is met. Also, as may be the case with the nursing homes, the employees...becasue they are paid so poorly already quailfy for  some existing state run health plan. Which, of course, in many states the newly energized winger legislatures are attempting to gut.

Or maybe it's an intentional ruse or can being played by the administration and HHS. Being played to show that even the best laid out plans don't work any better than the hideous employer based system of fattening up HMOs and big Pharma, hoping it will open up enough eyes to get us to single payer, which is where most of the public thinks we should be.

But, whaterver...if you find anything with some actual information in it, put it up here  for us .

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

First and foremost. " I don't know the reason"  Isn't it refreshing to have someone on this forum admit that he is not a authority on this topic?

MY assumption is that the folks getting the exemption are those that already have coverage that meets or exceeds what the law requires. That is just a guess but a good guess at that.

I doubt that there is anything sinister about the waivers going on. Which of course would conflict with what you are trying to assert.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

"The one-year waivers are designed to prevent significant premium increases or an erosion of coverage. Businesses that apply for the waivers are saying they would either have to pass the costs of the premiums on to their customers or drop coverage."

"In September, HHS announced it would grant waivers to employers to prevent some workers from losing their benefits, if the insurer could not meet the new health care law’s requirements on annual limits. The waivers are granted by HHS if the department determines “compliance in the interim final regulations would result in a significant decrease in access to benefits or a significant increase in premiums,” according to a Sept. 3 memo by Steve L. Larson, director of the HHS Office of Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight."

"The largest beneficiary of waivers is the United Federation of Teachers (UFT), representing New York City public school teachers, with a plan that affects 351,000 enrollees. The UFT is a member organization of the American Federation of Teachers, a major contributor to Democrats. In addition, 10 locals of the United Food and Commercial Workers – also a major Democratic contributor – received HHS waivers."

I'm confused.   We are told unions provide better pay and benefits for employees yet it is mainly union run businesses asking for these exemptions.   I'm guessing it is only a coincidence that 19% of the exemptions granted were for businesses in Pelosi's district.   If it walks like a duck.....

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Thanks....for not much

Generally iirc the employers current plans don't met the specs set down in mussoulinicare so the employer threatens to drop it entirely. Thats what it was with McDonald's.