cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Why the exemptions to those who supported the law?

The waivers are temporary and only apply to one provision of the law, which requires health plans to offer at least $750,000 worth of annual medical benefits before leaving patients to fend for themselves. Still, Republicans have assailed the waivers as a sign of both favoritism and of major problems with the law.

The Obama administration approved 204 new waivers to Democrats' healthcare reform law over the past month, bringing the total to 1,372.

Administration officials say the law allows the Health and Human Services Department to grant the waivers to avoid disrupting the insurance market before the law overhauls the insurance system in 2014. They say the waivers are granted through a transparent process.

As for Pelosi, the number of businesses in her district make up less than 3% of those approved -- 38 out of 1372.

The one-year waivers are designed to prevent significant premium increases or an erosion of coverage. Businesses that apply for the waivers are saying they would either have to pass the costs of the premiums on to their customers or drop coverage.

Without waivers, companies would have had to provide a minimum of $750,000 in coverage next year, increasing to $1.25 million in 2012, $2 million in 2013 and unlimited in 2014.

Thirty companies and organizations, including McDonald's (MCD) and Jack in the Box (JACK), won't be required to raise the minimum annual benefit included in low-cost health plans, which are often used to cover part-time or low-wage employees.

The Department of Health and Human Services, which provided a list of exemptions, said it granted waivers in late September so workers with such plans wouldn't lose coverage from employers who might choose instead to drop health insurance altogether.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/2010-10-07-healthlaw07_ST_N.htm

Veteran Advisor

Re: Thanks....for not much

You can find a lot of references to it by using:  corporation waivers from new health care.

Advisor

Don says:

"MY assumption is that the folks getting the exemption are those that already have coverage that meets or exceeds what the law requires. That is just a guess but a good guess at that."

That could very easy be. One of those strange (to some) things that has happened over time as laborers became unionized is that the union actually helped them to get health care...so if you are correct about that then it would only make sense that those union shops would be among those that were exempted.

But maybe it is somethig else...evil, devious or nefarious on the part of the Devil's Democrat children.

Advisor

You were told right dag

"We are told unions provide better pay and benefits for employees "......

.....that's probably exactly why why...That the costs under the new coverage for everybody plan were going to be higher than they were under the plans those entities had in place. Plans and contracts that were ACHEIVED FOR THEM VIA NEGOTIATIONS WITH PROVIDERS BY THEIR UNIONS.

Hell,,,who knows...maybe if all labor had been unionized for the past 30 years we wouldn't have a health care insurance and affordability crisis..

As for New York teachers and Pelosi's "peeps", those are unioin strongholds. I'd be suprised if there were many waivers in the precious "right to work" , no card requirement states and municpalities as ANY new program would most likely easy come in under what laborers there have, or their AEI and CofC supporting employers would ever think to offer them.

One thing we will all know for sure in good time is that under Obamacare, or universal care or whatever we wind up with in the next few years of changing the system...which I do believe is what damned to near everybody wants to happen...is that the usual suspects of crony capitalism will be in the front of the line wanting to make sure that their slice of the pork is as big and as juicy as possible.

And has anybody considered that these "waivers" possibly constitute a savings to the government? Isn't that what you people are screaming for? Unless, of course, you support the Ryan "let 'em pay or let 'em stay home and die" plan.

Senior Advisor

So these businesses getting exemptions is because they already provide better health care than Obama care? Why would they need an exemption, just keep on doing what they are doing. Doesn't add up.

Senior Contributor

Don says:

"MY assumption is that the folks getting the exemption are those that already have coverage that meets or exceeds what the law requires. That is just a guess but a good guess at that."

One article I read said that some of the places getting exemptions provided as little as $2000 worth of health coverage far below what the new reform requires.

These companies claim that following the reform mandates would cost them more to insure their workers and that they would have to pass on the costs.   Again I admit to being confused.  If forcing higher wages through higher mimimum wage requirements is good for workers no matter the effect it has on the business then why is it alright to exempt some employers from meeting the new mimimum health insurance requirements?

HHS announced 126 new waivers Friday, pushing the total to 1,040. The waivers have generally been given to "mini-med" plans that offer limited annual coverage — as low as $2,000, which falls short of the new annual coverage floor of $750,000 for 2011.

"We don't want to take away people's health insurance before they have some realistic other choices,” HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in an interview with The Hill earlier this year.

Bart, I stand corrected.  After going back and re-reading the article it said that 19% of the waivers granted in the month of April were from Pelosi's district.

Senior Contributor

I think we all need to bear in mind that this is an important issue that will affect the health and general welfare of a majority of Americans. I am pleased to see that many people here are actually considering this issue and learning more about it. This is important stuff. If any employer is already providing good care and their employees are not screaming for more/better....perhaps exemption is a good deal for everyone? I don't know...does that push more of a burden off on other employers? Does it not affect them? Good questions to ask.

The great political parties of America in my opinion need to wake up and work instead of playing games and pretending the status quo is good for everyone. Of course if you or your political beliefs say that you are only in this for yourself and to heck with the have-nots, the status quo may be the best deal to work for. I on the other hand care about my fellow Americans. I'm willing to compromise. I am willing to make changes to the plan and if I had my bet, Congress will have to come to the same conclusion and work to make something we can all live with.

I did note that AARP ask for an exemption. So these aren't all unions asking to be exempt. I'd imagine that a lot of state employee and possibly Fed healthcare places, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, etc are going to say that what they provide is enough. The question as I rased earlier is whether or not that will hurt those who must provide coverage but are outside those circles.

Advisor

Honest people show they care by their own actions, actions that personally cost them something. Asking the government to enforce your notions of caring is authoritarian arrogance.
Advisor

Huh?

"Why would they need an exemption, just keep on doing what they are doing(?)."

You answered your own question.

Senior Advisor

Because Obama says they don't have to live up to the same standards as others are held.