cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Real Story Aired on Today Show This Morning.

Your opinion of Ryan's plan differs greatly with what he claims.  Ryan hopes to end many of the tax deductions used by the wealthy which he claims will result in the rich actually paying more in taxes.  Ryan claims his plan is help unsure Medicare stays solvent.   I'm not smart enough or know enough about Ryan's plan to have a decent prediction on just how it would shake out if implemented.  I don't see Ryan's plan making it through and look for some type of plan that results in compromises from both parties similar to what we are finally seeing with our state budget plan.

Here are few things to consider Don before thinking Ryan's idea on reforming Medicare using vouchers is so radical.

Richard L. Kaplan, a professor of law and expert on retirement issues and Sarah Pedersen Professor of Law at Illinois, says that what Rep. Ryan is proposing isn't a radically new idea, as a broadly similar plan was first considered at length during the Clinton administration.  "It was proposed under the title of 'premium support,' though occasionally it has been described as vouchers," he said. "Essentially, it's the same concept -- provide seniors with a designated amount of money and let them shop for the plan that best meets their needs."

President Clinton’s National Bipartisan Commission on the Future of Medicare floated a voucher model in the mid-1990s.

Mainstream politicians have increasingly avoided the voucher model because it’s seen as politically damaging. Kaiser Health News notes that seven out of 10 Medicare beneficiaries currently oppose the idea of vouchers for the program. Of late, Medicare vouchers have been the province of think tanks and fringe presidential candidates like Democrat Mike Gravel.

Ezekiel Emanuel — a physician and bioethics expert — became one of Obama’s top health policy advisers ahead of the reform debate. Emanuel, who left the White House last year, in 2007 advocated replacing the current health care system with a plan that would allow people to buy health coverage with vouchers.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Vouchers to buy what, Dag?  Private insurance? Has medicare been raising their premiums double digit per year for a decade? I think not. They are pushing the seniors back into private insurance companies which makes you subject to the profiteers in that industry.

We do not negotiate rates with medicare. They set them and they have had modest premium increases instead of double digit ones. My supplement costs us more than the medicare insurance and they pay about 20% of what medicare does on any given procedure.

We need to pay more taxes for that coverage. A Lousy 2.5% in FICA taxes for medicare and medicaid. A One % increase would cost a Lousy thousand dollars for someone making a hundred grand in adjustable gross income. And that sir would make the program solvant for decades. If  they doubled it, it would harm anybody very much.

You might want to research  what people in their early 60"s are paying for private hralth insurance and then estimate what you think they would charge someone 75 or 80.  This is your ox they are trying to gore, Dag. You and my kids will pay the dues should this pass. You ought to oppose it.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I'm not sold on Ryan's plan but give him credit for making the proposal as most in Washington don't want to touch this with a 10ft. pole.   They know it is a hot button issue that could easily cost them votes so they continue to ignore it and kick the can down the road.   Even Bill Clinton has come out and said that Congress needs to grow a set and act on Medicare reform to strengthen the program.   

I still don't think Ryan's plan will be the end result but hopefully it will serve as a jump start to get Congress addressing this problem and begin negotiations to find a solution.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Give him credoit for what DAG?  Proposing to cut benefits and privatizing medicare? That's neither bold or sacrificial. That's asking other people to give up stuff you never really wanted in the first place. Bold? I would suggest cutting congresses benefit packages and retirement benefits. Something that harms himself instead of you and my kids.

GROW A SET AND RAISE FICA TAXES! That arrow isn't even in his quiver nor would he use it if it was.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@kraft-t wrote:

Vouchers to buy what, Dag?  Private insurance? Has Medicare been raising their premiums double digit per year for a decade? I think not. They are pushing the seniors back into private insurance companies which makes you subject to the profiteers in that industry.

We do not negotiate rates with Medicare. They set them and they have had modest premium increases instead of double digit ones. My supplement costs us more than the Medicare insurance and they pay about 20% of what Medicare does on any given procedure.

We need to pay more taxes for that coverage. A Lousy 2.5% in FICA taxes for Medicare and Medicaid. A One % increase would cost a Lousy thousand dollars for someone making a hundred grand in adjustable gross income. And that sir would make the program solvent for decades. If  they doubled it, it would harm anybody very much.

You might want to research  what people in their early 60"s are paying for private hralth insurance and then estimate what you think they would charge someone 75 or 80.  This is your ox they are trying to gore, Dag. You and my kids will pay the dues should this pass. You ought to oppose it.

This has got to be the most non informed post I have seen. Your right the rate increases don't happen that much compared to private insurance. I guess the coverage denial rate being almost 2.5 times of private coverage does not offset their costs??????? Must be nice to live in a bubble in your happy little world. I just got medicine for my dad for a antibiotic after bladder surgery and The doctor had a coupon that only made the drug $25 . Medicare actually would not allow coupon and Dad had to pay $25  for the drug and they paid $65 more for it. We were going to try to just get it direct, but they said it was more hassle than it was worth (They had already filed it by the time I knew about it) Tell me how that makes sense? His Primary Doctor now takes cash for $45 per visit or $100 with Medicare (He still only pays $50, but man that's a big difference). He claims it cost so much to deal with the paper work he's thinking of dropping it altogether.......... This world is crazy.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@kraft-t wrote:

Give him credoit for what DAG?  Proposing to cut benefits and privatizing medicare? That's neither bold or sacrificial. That's asking other people to give up stuff you never really wanted in the first place. Bold? I would suggest cutting congresses benefit packages and retirement benefits. Something that harms himself instead of you and my kids.

GROW A SET AND RAISE FICA TAXES! That arrow isn't even in his quiver nor would he use it if it was.

Cut benefits ????? How about boy wonder cutting $300 billion out of it? Talking points. Thats all you got.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The boy wonder wacked the funds out of the private insurers pockets. Money they should never have been getting.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

You do know i am a medicare patient and have experience many physical problems in the last 8 months. I have medicare and BCBS supplemental along with AARP  medicine insurance. My doctor&hospital out of pocket has been almost nil. I am now in the donut hole for prescription drugs so the next few months will be costly.

BY all means if he is unhappy with it, I would cancel but i dare say a whole many older folks are well satified with the results.

Now, the trick will be to find an insurer that will take him at any price. Good luck going it alone.

I pay zero for a office visit. ZERO!

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

You do know i am a medicare patient and have experience many physical problems in the last 8 months. I have medicare and BCBS supplemental along with AARP  medicine insurance. My doctor&hospital out of pocket has been almost nil. I am now in the donut hole for prescription drugs so the next few months will be costly.

BY all means if he is unhappy with it, I would cancel but i dare say a whole many older folks are well satified with the results.

Now, the trick will be to find an insurer that will take him at any price. Good luck going it alone.

I pay zero for a office visit. ZERO!

If you pay zero for an office visit then who is picking up the tap and what happens when he runs out of money?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Dag,   Since we are on making the vouvher syatem a away to cut spending  how about putting crop ins on a voucher syatem?  The govt would provide a voucher to  purchase ins and the farmer can decideat what levels he wants paying additional cost t out own pocket