cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Real Story Aired on Today Show This Morning.

Do You favor ondicting Ensign?

Some might think that Edwards has suffered enough. Or don't you think so? Public embarrassment and a total loss of public support and reputation. Remeber, Edwards is one of those hated trial lawyers and that means he is pretty easy for vindictive republicans to hate. Newt screwing around and divorcing his cancer ridden wife and I think he paid some pretty heavy fine for campaign fund problems.

cotman03
Senior Contributor

$100 billion in fraud was discussed during the healthcare debate.  I think it was the Government Accounting Office that came up with that figure.....over 5 billion in south Florida alone.  It wasn't some right wing blogger or talk show host.  The same organization also said that there is $500 billion in fraud, waste and redundant programs within our government spending every year.  Just think.....it seems like everyone wants to do away with direct payments to farmers but those payments don't even amount to 5% of the fraudulent spending in Medicare/Medicaid and equal to less than 1% of the fraud, waste and redundant spending going on every year in the overall budget.  Direct payments are a legitimate program.  Seems like the attack should be on getting rid of the theft and waste first.   

tomtoolbag
Senior Contributor

Re: Wiener fesses up.

Their(all the people that you listed and many others that haven't been caught or exposed yet)feel that they can get away with anything or are above the societal laws and guidelines that the rest of us live by. I don't think that this was the first "incident" for Weiner or the others, it was just the first time that they got caught or it was revealed to the public. Remember Tom Foley and how it was no secret at all that he had a thing for the high school boys that interned in Congress? It only became a problem when it became public.

Let me guess who that person is from Iowa.........................the King, and it wasn't Elvis either. Damned shame that he hasn't "left the building" too. 

dagwud
Senior Contributor

The National Center for Policy Analysis, a conservative think tank estimates fraud and abuse for Medicaid and Medicare is $44 billion each year.   The CBO estimates one dollar of every ten spent on Medicare is lost to fraud and abuse.

When 60 Minutes did a story on the rampant abuse in the Medicare program they claimed there was $60 billion a year lost to fraud and abuse.  They also said Medicare has their own fraud investigators but the investigators admitted they were terribly understaffed.  In South Florida where there are thousands of questionable medical equipment companies there are only three Medicare investigators.  

This all goes along with what I have always believed, that government programs are more prone to fraud then private companies that are more careful about watching over their interests.   In the 60 Minutes story they gave a clear example of how slow the government is to react to fraud abuse and how they always pay first and then asks questions later which is typically to late as the criminals have often closed up their temporary store front and moved to a new location under a new name.

"To understand just how preposterous all of this is, the FBI says the tiny little store collected six times more money from Medicare in June then the largest Walgreen Pharmacy in the state of Florida."

I'm thinking that should have sent up a red flag.  I do give some credit to the Obama Justice Dept. as they have stepped up their investigations into fraud and abuse but there is still an awful lot of improvement needed. 

As far as Ensign goes I say you bet throw the book at him as well.  I don't care if a politician is an Independent, Repub or Dem.  If they are breaking the law then charge them with as many crimes as possible and push hard for jail time.  It is the only way to get their attention.  Fines these days don't mean as much since now days politicians will simply ask donors to help pay their criminal penalties.  

Don't you agree we have far to much corruption in politics and especially at the national level?   One simply can not be willing to over look the crimes of politicians in their party as it will only help encourage more criminal activity in both parties.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Don said, "Some might think that Edwards has suffered enough. Or don't you think so? Public embarrassment and a total loss of public support and reputation."

It would be different if Edwards had only cheated on his wife and father a child.  But when he uses campaign donations illegally as the Obama Justice Dept. claims he did then I think he should be charged to the fullest extent of the law.  Time these crooked politicians realize they are not above the laws.

I'm curious Don, did you feel that Tom Delay had suffered enough through his embarrassment and loss of public support?  Did you favor not having Delay indicted, charged, convicted and sentenced to three years in jail?   I didn't feel any sympathy for Delay and am glad he is doing some jail time.

By the way I see Delay also set up a legal defense fund and asked supporters to help pay his legal fees.   I've come to think they need to change the definition of stupid in the dictionary to read anyone who helps pay the legal fees of rich corrupt politicians.

r3020
Senior Advisor

When the consumer is in charge of his own bill fraud is much harder to perpetrate plus you don't have to hire people to look for it.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: My biggest worry

Wouldn't you think the supposed blackmail material is already public knowledge?

Such reckless behavior indicates serious psychological problem. Almost a political suicidal attempt like he was trying to do harm to himself, Perhaps that is merely a feeble attempt to provide a explanation for his actions. At the least it is certainly bizarre behavior.