cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Will Congress go along with streamlining?

I think they will find a reason to say no, but then again............naw......they will say no. There must be failure, even if it meets their goals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-to-propose-combining-agencies-to-shrink-federal-governm...

8 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Will Congress go along with streamlining?

I'm all for it, if it will do away with unneeded and un-necessary redundancies that are just repeats of the same sort of thing that is done over and over again with carbon-copy regulations that are already in place somewhere else, so really aren't required for the benefit of the public.

Just so it is 'streamlining, and not consolidating everything into one 'super office' that tries to run the whole country.

Veteran Advisor

Republicans in Congress will not willingly go for ANYTHING Obama proposes.  You can take that to the bank!!

Senior Contributor

I think that Nebrfarmer has already identified the coming Republican objection - "Just so it is 'streamlining, and not consolidating everything into one 'super office' that tries to run the whole country."

Senior Contributor

Streamlining; a term used to describe the ease with which new regulations and fees are created without the interference of congress.

Senior Contributor

I take it that anything is unacceptable? Just as I predicted.

I think this is good though. There are 30 Senate Seats up for grab and a lot more of the House. Stonwalling meaningful cuts will make the republicans look worse than ever and show their true colors. I predict they will fight it tooth and nail with the same justifications you guys are coming up with. I'll be glad to lend you guys a shovel to dig your hole deeper.

Senior Advisor

The thing that bothers me is this stuff is suppose to start in the congress and then go to the president for approval. It is fine if he wants to propose it but the for him to send it to congress for an up or down vote is nothing but a power grab.

Senior Contributor

Congress is supposed to be the originators of law, but they do not seem to be interested in doing anything. He mentioned this in the state of the Union address last year, but I suppose no Republican congressmen listened then, nor took a lead after. Why didn't they make a proposal since they knew Obama wanted to act? I think the basic problem is that Republicans always talk about reducing government, but when you ask them specifically what/how, there is seldom a plan such as Obama has proposed. If Congress stonewalls, even business may start smelling their stink and resent their lack of action.

Senior Contributor

Knappy's strawman again

I know you are not so stupid that you believe the "size" of government is only in it's number of employees.

Reducing the number of employees as is being proposed does indeed, reduce the physical size of the governments payrol and saves us $3 billion in ten years. But does it reduce the scope of the federal government?

You of course do know that the modern day conservative desire is to reduce the scope of the federal. When one says they want to reduce the size of government they are talking about the scope, the power to control.

I know you are smart enough to understand the difference between "streamlining" and "scope"

Don't get me wrong here, this is the "red tape" that government is so fond of. At the expense of the tax payer. If this will allow, say a refinery, to open in 9 years instead of 10, then we have gained.

So!!! Nice strawman Knapper! You looked good beating the crap out of it