cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Will this change the world?

Here is an example of how science works.

Never able to say anyhting is cast in stone.

Physics laws may be changed by this IF it proves to be correct.

Even Einstein may be proved wrong about the theory of relativity.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/09/22/technology-particles-light-speed.html

A pillar of physics — that nothing can go faster than the speed of light — appears to be smashed by an oddball subatomic particle that has apparently made a giant end run around Albert Einstein's theories.

Scientists at the world's largest physics lab said Thursday they have clocked neutrinos travelling faster than light. That's something that according to Einstein's 1905 special theory of relativity — the famous E = mc^2 equation — just doesn't happen.

CERN is located near Geneva. The circles marked above show the location of the underground particle accelerator rings.CERN is located near Geneva. The circles marked above show the location of the underground particle accelerator rings.(CERN)

"The feeling that most people have is this can't be right, this can't be real," said James Gillies, a spokesman for the European Organization for Nuclear Research. The organization, known as CERN, hosted part of the experiment, which is unrelated to the massive $10 billion Large Hadron Collider also located at the site.

Gillies told The Associated Press that the readings have so astounded researchers that they are asking others to independently verify the measurements before claiming an actual discovery.

"They are inviting the broader physics community to look at what they've done and really scrutinize it in great detail, and ideally for someone elsewhere in the world to repeat the measurements," he said Thursday.

Scientists at the competing Fermilab in Chicago have promised to start such work immediately.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Will this change the world?

I think we'll find out that Einstein, like Newton, gave an approximation of reality.
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: That Is True

@Samnospam wrote:
I think we'll find out that Einstein, like Newton, gave an approximation of reality.

My brother has been working on Einstein's famous theory for years, finding flaws with it.  Especially in the realm of the accuracy in the measurement of time.  Time is very "warp-able" and cannot be used as a true measure for physical science.   My brother's thought on this that the true measure is entropy, or the speed in which materials degrade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy  

He is hoping to use his calculations to one day introduce an addendum to Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Good analogy?

I guess economics are more maleable than the speed of light.

Just to note, even those behind this 'finding' acknowledge that it may not be true and more tests need to be done to prove things can be faster than light.

Anybody testing these economic theories before they are unleashed on us?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

He is hoping to use his calculations to one day introduce an addendum to Einstein's Theory of Relativity.   -    Oh really.   With brains like that it could not have run in the family.  Cutting firewood hardly compares with Einstein.  Just how vain are you Milligans?

Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Ya know what Gough,      Maybe all us non believers in God have got it wrong after all , and this new finding could explain how God managed to get to Earth before the big Bang, Smiley Indifferent

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@noxandrattles wrote:

Ya know what Gough,      Maybe all us non believers in God have got it wrong after all , and this new finding could explain how God managed to get to Earth before the big Bang, Smiley Indifferent

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy