cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Re: Willful ignorance

@schnurrbart wrote:
The only arrest I have read about was one at the Lincoln Memorial. He could have been a veteran but didn't read about any 80-90 yr olds being arrested when they went to the ww2 memorial. How do you know they were new? Was the ink still wet? Business goes on and if the day before the shutdown, they have a contract fulfilled, would you expect them to send it back. There could have been a last second stay. You guys are just grabbing at straws to keep the destruction of Obama on the front burner. I have a lot of questions but maybe because of all the years I spent in the military, when someone says this is closed or you can't walk there or I see a sign that says "stay off the grass", I generally follow the direction.

How can the signs not be new?   To my knowledge, they have never been seen anywhere, before the shutdown of 2013.

As to the last-minute spending sprees, many of them were NOT existing contracts for that day (the ink toner specifically) but rather it was a measure to 'spend down' any leftover money they had, so that when the shutdown occured, they were completely out of money.

Also, heaven forbid they had a little money left, someone might think they might be able to get by with les the next year.

I didn't go anywhere during the shutdown, either, because I am not one to look for a fight with authorities, but, try to look at this with an open mind:

Can you give me one reason, just one, of why the scenic overlook lanes on the highways around Mt. Rushmore were partitioned off with traffic cones?   How on Earth can that be any kind of 'cost cutting' measure?  The Federal government has zero expense, keeping them open on a day to day basis, but rather actually spent money to have people put up the cones, and then enforce the closure.  The reason that pops into my head first, is that it was done for the reason to make the biggest visual impact, to the most people, for political gain.

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Re: Letter from Union Leader

Does the law prohibit that act?   If not, they are following the law.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Letter from Union Leader

What law? If there was a law that says they can or one that says they can't, then there is a law but you can pretty well do whatever you want unless there is a law AGAINST it. They aren't following the law because there is no law. Lord, you got me doing it!!
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

During the shutdown?
You might want to check on who they let in and out of the bases, at that time.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Ever hear of liability? I don't know but it goes against every logical one in my body that Obama would have personally given an order to "make it as miserable as possible"! As for the signs, asI said before, the order to print however many signs they needed could have gone out as soon as word was received that the last minute talks failed, to print x- number of signs and a msg sent to all Nat.Park offices to print signs asap telling the public all parks and memorials were closed due to the shutdown. I can clearly see that as a possibility.
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Retired military personnel have military post privileges at all times.
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

3020 I need an explanation

Right this is all about insurance it's not really about health care or am I wrong?                                                                                       So what is the difference between the government taking an employee's money and giving it to a third party (an insurance company) and a company taking money from it's employees and giving it to a third party (an insurance company)

Or am I wrong about how employers and employees pay for insurance?  We've been self employed a long time, paying the full cost of insurance.   But I thought a company paid part of it and the employee paid the other part.

Or do companies pay the whole thing out of the goodness of their hearts and it is never part of an employee's compensation.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: 3020 I need an explanation

@dairy mom wrote:

Right this is all about insurance it's not really about health care or am I wrong?                                                                                       So what is the difference between the government taking an employee's money and giving it to a third party (an insurance company) and a company taking money from it's employees and giving it to a third party (an insurance company)

Or am I wrong about how employers and employees pay for insurance?  We've been self employed a long time, paying the full cost of insurance.   But I thought a company paid part of it and the employee paid the other part.

Or do companies pay the whole thing out of the goodness of their hearts and it is never part of an employee's compensation.

Healthcare cost will never be controlled through a 3rd party payer system unless it is done through rationing with someone deciding who receives how much care. I do not want any politician from any party with that much control over my life.  This is about the government forcing everyone into an insurance system, a system those politicians all say is broken because of the greed of the insurance companies. It is also about many people being exempt from that system. Doesn't that sound like more of the same instead of hope and change?

dairy mom
Senior Contributor

Actually I thought the whole idea of insurance for everyone from the beginning was the wrong idea.

What needs to be done about healthcare is not to get everybody insured, good health care needs to cost less..

It really irks me to pay $100 or more just to get inside someones office

Same goes for lawyers.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@dairy mom wrote:

Actually I thought the whole idea of insurance for everyone from the beginning was the wrong idea.

What needs to be done about healthcare is not to get everybody insured, good health care needs to cost less..

It really irks me to pay $100 or more just to get inside someones office

Same goes for lawyers.

Obama care will do nothing to lower those cost, only to shift them.