cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Wishing Sam was still around here

The Johnson-Weld ticket has a certain appeal to it. I'd like to know what Sam would have to say about his party's nominees.
9 Replies
hardnox
Advisor

Re: Wishing Sam was still around here

Always interested where purity trumps the urgency of defeating either pathological liar #1 or #2.

I do think Johnson/Weld is interesting but also think that the people who are committed to a true libertarian philosophy is a pretty small subset as evidenced by the faint thud we heard from somewhere in the distance that was the Rand campaign.

I imagine that for a lot of the people who dabbled on the Ron Paul side of things, Trump is fairly attractive. That might seem contradictory but probably not if you examine the real motivations.

He might be an authoritarian but only as it relates to other people.

I see where Bill Weld called Trump a fascist and refused to walk it back when he caught some flack about it, in fact he patiently explained his reasoning.

bruce MN
Advisor

That was what I was particularilly wondering about his thoughts on.  Libertarian was the go to catch-all for complaints before the baggers rose up.  Which subsequently came to the Trump option, which has now given the various white nationalist orbs and cells a political home. The glorious Grand Old Party. 

Be as they may, that's as good tandem on top of that ticket by comparison.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

It`s imposible to be a real purist on any of the political ideologies, perhaps that`s part of the appeal of Trump is he doesn`t pretend to be driven by idelogy.  Even Sam, he is Pro-Life...well a Libertarian purist would be pro-choice but the small government that there would be wouldn`t pay for any of it, the whole cost of the procedure would come from the woman that was murdering her baby. She could get the money by selling drugs or being a hooker, all of which is okay in a Libertarian world. 

Libertarianism would work great in a society that has personal responsibilty....Smiley Very Happy  and we are no where near achieving personal responsiblity...are you kidding me half or more the damned country votes the free ice cream Democrat party  Smiley LOL   no it`s best to forget that pipe dream awhile.

If you`re goona have open borders and legal drugs, you damned well better shut off the safety nets and welfare of ALL kinds or the lights would go out with in one week, permanently in this country.

With the Johnson Welding ticket, sounds like they`d get 10% drawing off equally from both parties that aren`t happy with their nominees..a steam valve, if you will.  

hardnox
Advisor

I agree. But contrary to what I'd recently mused over, I kind of doubt whether either alt ticket will get much interest in a race that is mostly about the urgency of voting against one or the other.

Falling back to my larger philosophy, either administration is going to be an abject failure and I'm really not smart enough to triangulate how we're better off one way or the other by who is holding the old maid.

For lack of any greater insight I'll go with the idea that I don't want to burden the young folks who are going to have to try to fix our mess with 3 Duck Dynasty SCOTUS justices.

But of course a failed Clinton presidency may result in worse. At each of our previous Turnings we've more or less turned in accordance with our civil institutions. There's no certainty that we won't veer in a whole new direction.

Demographics say we won't, money says we will.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

You guys that aren`t crazy radical liberals, I think you can safely sit it out and allow Trump to win.  Because what`s the worst that can happen?  I guess the worse that could happen for a liberal (and some say Trump is a liberal) that trump would win over the country and the country would be a success and Republican for ever and ever amen.   Very doubtful that`s going to happen, president Trump is going to find it`s impossible to keep all the balls juggling in the air, let alone add more balls to the act. 

A good chance is the SHTF for the next prez and you guys can sit back in the peanut gallery and say "told ya so"  ..it won`t be Trump`s fault per se, but that`s how it will be spun.  It isn`t like trump will have time to monkey with gay marriage or take away enttlements...matter of fact he wants to add more entittlements, that`s the charge anyway. 

hardnox
Advisor

Actually it may not be a disaster for Republicans.

The one thing you can 100% predict from Trump's behavior is that when things don't go well he will be the best ever at shifting blame and diverting attention to some Other, and I predict the base will be pretty slow to desert- that's what they signed up for anyway- Case-Deaton be damned.

If they can succeed in replacing the constitution with the one that Knows What the Founders Meant it will be a huge success.

I would say that should the great crisis be in the geopolitical arena I'll be very disappointed if The Base doesn't flood the recruiting stations.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well, if we`re in a severe recession in a couple years, the narrative will be "If Trump didn`t waste money building that damned wall!...."  the Lindsey Grahams are looking for an excuse, all the Democrats hate him, the media hates him and will hold him to the standard that Obama SHOULD HAVE been held to.  Trump can shift blame all he wants but if your brother and neighbor have been without work for a year and your sister`s house got forclosed, the buck will stop at whoever`s in the Whitehouse.  And the Fed isn`t going to have his back.

Perhaps if one wants this to run abolutely as far as it can go, fumes in the gas tank and 4 flat tires...Hillary might be your best choice, confidence would be stretched to the max to make sure a recession didn`t occur during the "first woman`s presidency"....kinda like in the Walking Dead where they had to smear zombie guts on themselves to sneak past the "walkers".

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Trump already posted a list of qualified supreme court nominees that he would consider.

No Sotomayers or Kagens on the list....all qualified, experienced "normal" American men

and women.

But if he did choose two "Duck Dynasty" denizens, as you put it, they would mirror and

help shape the future of America a lot better than the fruitcakes that the zero appointed. 

hardnox
Advisor

I may have to reassess that.

Note that one of Johnson's challengers is John MacAfee. Now that would be fun, although I think Johnson is a lock.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/pay-attention-to-libertarian-gary-johnson-hes-pulling-10-vs-trum...