cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Women in power

Thank you...it is dangerous to overgeneralize, even when you are being complimentary. 

I have had principals of each gender when I taught school,. and the female one was an lnflexible, racist nightmare.  Maybe that is  an example of middle management, not world-caliber office holder, but it put a bad taste in my mouth.  It was hard for me to go out of that experience and not feel that working under the direction of men was far preferrable.   ]

I think the basic problem in the world today is that we have too many people who are beholden to special interests, and not a general electorate.  Probably best called a plutocracy, at best.  We ridicule lack of democracy or bastardized democratic processes in other nations, with our own in the midst of a sickening shipwreck. 

Now that corporations have been ruled to be 'persons', I am waiting for the first one of them to register to vote.  Giving them unlimited freedom to buy elections with PAC money is the beginnning of a scary era in our evolution to me. 

I would rather we set aside stereotypes.  Testosterone is not solely a male hormone.  If you think the world is lacking in aggressive women, you have led too sheltered a life, Kraft-t. 

Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I do think you have hit upon a point of gender distinction that many people neglect to recognize:  Mothers cannot disclaim their offspring the way that fathers can (or, at least could, until teh advent of routine DNA testing.)  I do not know if this is why we tend to be supremely protective...maybe the fact that we can have only so many, and men can have countless children, makes for our sense of greater investment. 

Then again, my daughter is reargin our first grandchild...and we often share errands together, so I am learngin a lot of new things.  You can find a breastmilk alcohol test kit at Target now, in the baby section of the store.  I am thinking that if you have had enough to drink to feel the need for that item, you ought not to be carrying around and caring for a helpless infant....

Times change, and people do, too...just rarely for the better. 

Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

As a much younger woman, I encountered this saying on a coffee mug, and I think it pretty miuch says what needs to be said about sexual politics:

As you climb the ladder of success,

Don't let the boys look up your dress. 

johnaa
Advisor

Thank You Kay, KUDOS

"I  would rather we set aside stereotypes. Testosterone is not solely a male hormone. If you think the world is lacking in aggressive women, you have led too sheltered a life, Kraft-t."  

Stereotyping is prejudice, pure and simple. 

I did not get married until I was 35, lived in a place where single women outnumbered straight men, being a slow learner, certainly was not sheltered.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Mentioning Palin, when she retired as Governor of Alaska (going from memory)

Alaska was running a budget surplus,

Had low unemployment,

and no State sales tax.  In fact, the budget surplus was high enough, that the people living in Alaska got some sort of stipend just for living there.  Crime was low, and industry was high.  From the outside looking in, it doesn't seem like she was doing such a terrible job.

sw363535
Honored Advisor

Right------and those things were true before she became governor--------a 5th grader could be governor of Alaska.  It has few problems.

Her selection as a VP candidate tells us a lot about McCain's qualifications-----------------not Palin's.

bruce MN
Advisor

I wonder if maybe more then back when it hapened it wasn't more about who was advising and calling the shots in the GOP  She was foisted upon the elites by the Heritage Foundation and Weekly Standard crowd as a good way to get the social conservative base to support an establishment candidate.  That base is calling the shots now, as evidenced by how Romney is pandering to them.

johnaa
Advisor

Do you think that maybe the elected governors and presidents are not gods who actually run everything  that happens during their term of office?

The idea government controls the economy and morals of their subjects is a baseless claim used to keep the sheeple in the flock.

sw363535
Honored Advisor

It was McCain's decision------blaming advisers does sound like McCain-----but I will hold blame with the person of responsibility.

It has amazed me how everyone, including Palin, has been blamed for this rediculous choice.  

Experience was never an issue in the race, on either side.

Think about it---He was facing a tough, feel good, emotional, well funded competitor.  Needing to increase his appeal he chooses  Christian values and sex appeal.------Are there any more divisive issues in politics??  --------( I been trying to find other reasons for the choice--------???)

It can be argued that Obama was handed the win by McCain.  In this race McCain is the one that appeared the least qualified for the office------------seems ironic.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Oil royalties is what keeps texas and Alaska in the black. Not state income tax. Sarah campaigned for the bridge to nowhere in her run for governmor. After elected she stopped the bridge but kept the federal funds allocated for it.