cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Would you recall

30 or 40 years  ago you were in high school and had a long haired guy in your high school which you andyourrowdy pals suspected of being a homosexual. As a prank you took the guy down and forcibly gave him a haircut.

Later in yourlife you are running for president and this story was brought to your atrtention. Would you say you don't recall as if you could forget such an incident?

You could say it didn't happen  but you are guilty of chldish pranks. But I don't reall just doesn't pass the credibility test. iF IT HAPPENED I WOULD REMEMBER ESPECIALLY IF GIVEN A REMINDER.  If it didn't happen I would be emphatic that it didn't happen.

I don't recall indicates that he did it and would choose to deny it if he was certian that no one would come forth and confirm that it did indeed happen.

Obviously he is by nature a bully and a liar!

32 Replies
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Would you recall

Personally, I think in this election, whatever was done in high school, is pretty much a non-issue.

Oh, and no, I wouldn't remember, what I did in high school, back when Romney supposedly did what he did, as I wasn't born yet.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Would you recall

When I heard that story, I was reminded of back in the 70`s there were 2 burly bothers with a girly-man little brother that liked his long hair..well one day while Mom and Dad were away they got out the clippers and gave him a Marine-cut...that was the nature of the times.  Society was changing and people of the old school didn`t know how to deal with it. Since, Romney hasn`t been going around being Delilah in the past 45 years and the alleged victim has passed away, can we really convict the guy?  Perhaps Romney wasn`t that involved in the incident that it would be something that could be recalled.  I remember fist fights in school where the one guy had braces...and that wasn`t pretty.  I remember kids getting locked in lockers, kids getting lifted by their belts 8 feet in the air with the shop hoist. Bottomline kids do dumb things.  Why are you guys making a big deal out of something like the haircut, but don`t give a rip about Obama smoking and snorting every narcotic that wasn`t nailed down at that age? Obama had known communist mentors at that age molding his dazed and confused mind, yet where`s the hand wringing on that?  Obama bullied a young Black girl..admitted in his own book in his own words....disscuss!

Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: In perspective......

This wasn't a question about your political convictions but a question about whether you would recall about such an event in your youth. I would surely recall if I forcably gave a guy a haircut. I would recall if reminded of the event.

You can conclued whether he is lying or not.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Wouldn't the family recall...

The attack on their brother?

Yesterday’s news cycle was dominated by a front page story in the Washington Post alleging that Mitt Romney engaged in vicious bullying of a gay classmate as an 18-year-old prepster. But the family of the alleged victim denies knowledge of the incident and has lashed out at the report, declaring the “portrayal of John is factually incorrect and we are aggrieved that he would be used to further a political agenda.”*

ABC News (“Sister of Alleged Romney Target Has ‘No Knowledge’ of Any Bullying Incident“):

The older sister of Mitt Romney’s former high school classmate said she has no knowledge of any bullying incident involving her brother and the GOP presidential candidate.

-snip-

Betsy Lauber, one of John Lauber’s three sisters, spoke with ABC News Tuesday night regarding the accuracy of the story.

“The family of John Lauber is releasing a statement saying the portrayal of John is factually incorrect and we are aggrieved that he would be used to further a political agenda. There will be no more comments from the family,” she said.

She did not say specifically how the Washington Post story was incorrect.

Below from:  http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/family-of-alleged-romney-bullying-victim-denies-knowledge-of-incide...

It’s interesting to note that the original WaPo story indicates that they talked to the sisters for the report—”Lauber died in 2004, according to his three sisters”—but didn’t mention that the sisters denied any knowledge of the story until the fifth page of the web version and the third continuation page of a story that put the charges on page A1.*

The funny thing about these stories is that our tendency is to treat denials as a failure to fess up to wrongdoing rather than as the natural reaction of someone who actually isn’t guilty of the offenses of which they’re accused. Now, it’s quite possible that the incident occurred John Lauber simply never told his family about it.  I was an only child but certainly there were all manner of things that happened in high school that I never told my parents about. But the bar has certainly been raised on this story: Romney now deserves the benefit of the doubt absent substantially more corroboration.

Now, if your brother was attacked, wouldn't you remember it?  Maybe things aren't as clear-cut as it was made to be.  Oddly enough, the one person who could confirm the story, died of cancer some years ago.

Jim B. in Iowa
Senior Contributor

IIt depends on whether it was a watershed moment or not.  I'm sure there are a ton of things I don't recall from back then...hell, I have a hard enough time with much more recent recollections.  The stuff I do remember often has no rhyhm or reason to it. 

Is this different than the "swiftboating" of obama? 

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

What I want to know is if no one can remember this incident, how did it come out?????
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Wouldn't the family recall...

His sister was away at college and her brother was in high school. She says he wouldn't have told her if she had been around.