cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Yo. BA

(I would not use the words you did as Clinton clearly won the election with 3 million more votes.)

Those 3 million votes and a Saw-buck would get Hillary a t-shirt printed with Epstein's painting of Bill in a Monica Lewinsky dress.

Senior Contributor

And the popular vote was derived from............. wait for it........... THE ELECTION!

The system selected your president since 'election' indicates a choice.

The system has no choice even though it is called an electoral college hence the word selected better describes what happens there.

Advisor

Although.......

would it not be true that a parliamentary system could produce the same result?

Senior Contributor

You selected examples to suit your purpose BA.

I expect you know how it works where many/most of one parties supporters get put in one district and just barely a majority of other party supporters are left in 2 or 3 the districts so popular vote may be for party A but party B might win 3 of 4 seats.

Now the question you should be asking is why do you allow gerrymandering at all?

Why do you not set districts like other countries where they follow common sense boundaries and treat the election results fairly?

Senior Advisor

No. You're wrong again. You just can't understand and accept the results of the election. To win the election you have to win a majority of votes in enough states to win the electoral college. That is what it takes to win the election. Hillary won the popular vote but lost the election. Our system did not choose Trump, the people elected Trump. He won the election. That is why he lives in the white house and Hillary doesn't. And it just burns you to no end.

Senior Contributor

You can misuse words if it keeps you happy but it does not change the FACT that the majority chose Clinton and the system selected your present 'leader'.

Why do you keep saying I do not understand when it appears that you are the one that can not understand how the majority voted for Clinton but you got the other guy from the system?

Senior Advisor

No. You're wrong again. All Hillary won was the popular vote. Under our system you have to win the electoral vote. She lost. The voter chose Trump. Trump won the election. She lost under the system she agreed to run under. If she would have won she would be living in the white house. You just can't understand or accept the results of the election. The election Trump won and Hillary lost. And that just burns you to no end. That what's so funny.

Advisor

The EC does come into play occasionally.

But the much more anti-democratic bias in our system is the fact that small population states get the same 2 senators as large ones do.

I'm not fighting that battle, other than losing interest quickly when people start going on about how Rural America is underrepresented.

We're actually over represented in terms of where we really stand.

Advisor

And that over representation most certainly includes matters that have majority support in rural areas such as guns, social issues, immigration.

BTW, really an incredible gut punch that the RW Blob thinks it can take Agriculture so for granted* that its been able to roll it on ethanol, trade etc.

It pretty well can, except at the margins.

*as I noted elsewhere, I think the RIN waiver thing is more a function of the total dysfunction in this administration- when the fossil fuel swamp lobbyists do the work for their former and future fossil fuel bosses, there's nobody to say, hey, wait a minute.

Honored Advisor

Well Democrats are in power quiet often so one way or another "democratically" they have their turn at drawing districts, it isn`t like only the Republicans have that "advantage".   But is gerrynmandering so much of an advantatage when you get right down to it?  If you made a "perfect square" you`d have a big urban center and rural areas surrounding it, isn`t it better all the way around to have representation of urban areas by urban politicians and suburban & rural represented by "their kind"?