Advisor

You can chose your friends........

6 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: You can chose your friends........

i can see why they "left".

Advisor

It's ironic the grandson of a man who emigrated to this Nation to escape fascist totalitarianism would wish to destroy Individual Liberty in that Nation and preach against the evil of The Pursuit of Happiness. 

Advisor

I'd suffered the same bewilderment as I watched his "I came within 8 votes", almost victory speech the other night after the Iowa caucuses.

He said then that his Gr. Father, the miner with the big strong hands, had left Italy to escape fascism (while, I 'd imagine if they are what they say they are his uncles and aunts and cousins stayed to FIGHT facsim as the Italian  resistance did so passionately) and then can be running on a platform that Il Duce, and Franco next door, would have been proud to stand on with him.

Thanks for pointing it out now.  It had left me with the late night turning of the channel.

Those Eyetalian commies were some tough dudes. Along with some help from the indigenous organized crime element, they made up most of La Resistenza Italiana which is said to have accounted for more German casualties in the Italian theater than the allied armies did.

Not surprisingly they emerged from the war with a great deal of moral authority in Italy and-more history- the next 50 or so years involved a continuous effort to discredit and keep them out of power via operations like the CIA's Operation Gladio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gladio

Of course the Italian communists were the first victims of fascism as it was conceived- a partnership of the state and the industrialists to keep worker power in check.  Huh.

Advisor

But  nox...we learend so much from it all. 

Who'd tryand do something like that now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Grain

Wiki-ing around on related topics I came across this:

"....success in this battle was... another illusory propaganda victory won at the expense of the Italian economy in general and consumers in particular". He also pointed out "Those who gained were the owners of the Latifondia and the propertied classes in general... his policy conferred a heavy subsidy on the Latifondisti".

I admit to being a kook but I regularly see things that make me think we're farther down the track than we think.