cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: You can draw only one conclusion.

Does that bother you, Sam? Your people have been calling the left the enemy since Obama was elected.

Highlighted
Advisor

Grow up. Learn to recognize when you're being manipulated.
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I think that is one reason that unions are losing their influence.  Instead of one voice for equal wages for equal work, safe working conditions, etc, etc., they have splintered into various special-interest groups that are looking out for themselves, rather than the workers as a whole.
For example, the teacher's union wants property taxes raised, so the teachers can get a bigger raise/more benefits, even to the point of having protests in some areas carrying 'raise taxes' signs - not a good way to enamour yourself to the public.

Then you have perhaps a union in a axle manufacturing plant that strikes, which causes layoffs in a trailer manufacturing plant, which causes hard feelings between the unions themselves.

I know a guy who once was working at a warehouse (union shop) when it started snowing.  Since it was a slow day, he grabbed a shovel, and cleaned the dock area off, so no one would slip/fall.  He actually got chewed out for doing the work, because now the warehouse was going to be in trouble with the snow removal union, for hiring a 'scab'.

Meanwhile, at the same time the unions say they are there to represent the working stiffs, the union leaders are getting almost $300,000 a year cash, with total compensation of over $350,000, while the lowly peons are shivering out in picket lines.  Then, they negotiate a small raise, and the union takes a chunk of it, in increased dues. 

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

**bleep**! Another union man that is over paid. You must think you  are paying it as much as you are worried about what other people get.

That makes as much sense as me worrying about how much you make. It's not my concern and I don't pay you but I still cvan get exercised because of my hatred for unions or farmers and my petty jealousy.

THe left will not vpote for a republican with the exception of Houseman. However, there are many that will stay home rather than vote for OBama as there are that many disenchanted with him. Mainly because he has not manned up to the radical right.

Yes indeed, we need to declare war on the radical right and trounce them at the ballot box. But it wioll take a leader to do that not a concensus make that  starts from a weak negotiating position and then caves to the right.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Actually, I am paying for part of it.  Every time I have something shipped out here, that is trucked through a union state, he gets a cut of. 

Why is it, every time I point out a fact about something, you reply with a bunch of rhetoric about me being jealous?

All I said was, he might be getting a bit worried about his $300,00+ job, which is a fact.  I don't think I'm any more worried about what he gets than some people are worried that the rich aren't paying enough taxes.  Basically, opposite sides of the same coin.

If you want to accuse me of being jealous, or whatever, fine.  Just so you know, it has been my experience that when someone can't counter you with the truth, they start the name calling.  This leads me to believe that my facts are 100% right.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I didn't call you any names. I said you were exhibiting petty jealousy as there really is no reason to compain about another's paycheck. This is american and we should be glad that people have success in their lives and are compensated well. I hope you do make 3 million a year. I suspect you earn it. Why would I think otherwise. You aren't paying jimmy's salaray. The union is. Your complaint about freight rates should be directed towards the freight company you hire. Chances are the CEO pof the freight company is making more than Jimmy but you aren't concerned about that.

You aren't one of those rubes that blame high prices on union workers are you?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Geez! You discredit them for looking out for their own interests? Really?  When you negotiate a great price for your ag production, do you negotiate for yourself or every farmer producing the same thing?

I think most union workers would prefer that all workers are valued in the market place. They can't negotiate for everyone else. It would be senseless and futile. I'll bet most union workers make more than minimum wage yet when ever wage legislation comes before congress I'll bet the favor and increase. Can you say the same?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Your hatred for all things union is disgusting.  It is OK for your representatives to exploit cheap labor and rob consumers blind but when the working class get a champion for their cause, you all bellow foul play.  Hoff is entitled to blow his bags now with a dem pres. You repig supports where singing the praises of your governments election but you are so biased you cannot see the democracy in it all.  You are hypocrits.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

LOL, you just said you don't call names, and then accused me of being a rube? 

Funny how the union has NOTHING at all to do with my freight rates (so you say) but immediately after a strike, and higher wages for the unions, it cost an extra 50 cents a box to have stuff shipped here, an almost 10% hike, which coincided with a 10% wage hike, plus extra benefits. 
My wife is trying to establish a home based business, and gets several boxes sent here per week for her inventory, plus stuff she sends out, and we can probably tell you as much about the day to day costs of sending small freight as anyone.  Within a week of a new contract, we get a price hike.

I said it before, and I'll say it again.  When facts come out, and there is no denying that fact, the name calling starts.  That just reinforces to me that my facts were right.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

LOL, you just said you don't call names, and then accused me of being a rube? 

Funny how the union has NOTHING at all to do with my freight rates (so you say) but immediately after a strike, and higher wages for the unions, it cost an extra 50 cents a box to have stuff shipped here, an almost 10% hike, which coincided with a 10% wage hike, plus extra benefits. 
My wife is trying to establish a home based business, and gets several boxes sent here per week for her inventory, plus stuff she sends out, and we can probably tell you as much about the day to day costs of sending small freight as anyone.  Within a week of a new contract, we get a price hike.

I said it before, and I'll say it again.  When facts come out, and there is no denying that fact, the name calling starts.  That just reinforces to me that my facts were right.

You are spot on right.  My wife sells a little Tupperware on the side.  All costs, taxes and regulation taxes/fees are passed right on down to John and Jill Lunchbox.  All labor costs must be factored into the price of everything that we buy and sell.

That is why I like selling firewood so well.  Almost zero costs from purchased inputs, and I set my own price to the end user.   Even better than selling hay.