cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: You can draw only one conclusion.

@kraft-t wrote:

Geez! You discredit them for looking out for their own interests? Really?  When you negotiate a great price for your ag production, do you negotiate for yourself or every farmer producing the same thing?

I'm not discrediting them.  I was merely giving my point of view why many unions are losing public favor, because they are looking out for a narrow special interest, instead of the plight of workers in general.

A paralell to this would be the corn/livestock/ethanol debate.  The more the corn peole want corn prices raised, the more the others resist.  The more corn ground to ethanol, the less for livestock.  I wasn't discrediting anyone, I was just calling it like I see it.

I think most union workers would prefer that all workers are valued in the market place. They can't negotiate for everyone else. It would be senseless and futile. I'll bet most union workers make more than minimum wage yet when ever wage legislation comes before congress I'll bet the favor and increase. Can you say the same?

I bet that there aren't any union workers that get minimum wage.  All the ones I know have a starting salary at minimum wage times X%.  One place I know of starts at 145% or 155% of minimum (can't remember which).  This for the kid who sweeps the floors after school.  Since the wages are based on minimum, the union of course is for raising the minimum wage, because it causes EVERYONE to get an automatic raise who works there.  It is in their best interest.

As for if I am in favor of a minimum wage, I would say 'yes'.  What it should be, I don't know.  If just raising wages were the answer, why not just make minimum wage be $50 an hour, and then no one would be poor.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, more realistically, unemployment would likely double.  You need to strike a balance of what is wanted/needed, and what can be afforded. 

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Am I calling you names if I ask "Are you one of those rubes...?"  Just curious.  I remember as an NCO in the Army, if I happ;ened to say out loud something like, 'Well, I'll be a son of a b8tch!"  there would always be some idiot start claiming I called him an sob.  Didn't of course, but some people don't understand English well enough to know the difference.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

All that firewood and hay sold for cash and not a single dollar paid in tax.  And you squeel when the bludgers on the dole get a few bob.  You hypocrit.