Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: If Ronald Reagan had twitter

Please cite case law or federal

Statue that supports your 

Statement

Honored Advisor

I didn`t think i`d have to explain, but Reagan didn`t have Twitter, if he did, there would`ve been "bombing starts in 5 minutes" Tweets, there was nothing "legal about it".  Trump to say "this is a order that businesses should seek sources other than China for their materials".  That wasn`t a serious "order" no more than the "5 minute bombing" was a serious military order. 

Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

I didn`t think i`d have to explain, but Reagan didn`t have Twitter, if he did, there would`ve been "bombing starts in 5 minutes" Tweets, there was nothing "legal about it".  Trump to say "this is a order that businesses should seek sources other than China for their materials".  That wasn`t a serious "order" no more than the "5 minute bombing" was a serious military order. 

BA, Reagans comment was when he thought the mic was off, it was a joke.  Trump very intentionally made the comment to the public.  I don't think the two are the same thing.

Advisor

Sam, I agree that Trump meant to say that American business entities need to decide which side they are on or cease to be American companies. Maybe a lot of them would rather have China calling the shots as to what they can and cannot do, and providing protection for their shipping lanes. 

A strategic alliance with Greenland, and their cache of rare earth metals makes a lot of sense, too, if we really are going to sever ties with the Chinese. 

Trump is thinking ahead, past his life time, and trying to preserve the USA. I think they used to call that form of thinking "Statesmanship".

Senior Contributor

Apparently he does have authority

if he declares an emergency.

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=236685

Advisor

Re: Apparently he does have authority

One thing that Hitler did to get the economic engine of Germany rolling again was to issue new currency and annul the outstanding stuff and foreign debt. 

"The US Dollar is backed by the full faith and trust in the nuclear bomb." Not sure who said that first, but it is pretty apt.

If Trump would freeze Chinese monetary assets invested in the USA, he would probably start World War III, and none of us probably survive that.

Best case is for the Chinese to blink as this all escalates.

Senior Contributor

I say he needs to just calm down, shut up, and stay the course.

One thing he should do that is completely justified, rational, and would start the ball rolling in repatriating some necessary manufacturing would be to require all components of new defense purchases to be sourced 100% from the USA or its allies within a reasonable time frame. 

Advisor

I believe heard something somewhat along those lines coming out of the Warren camp.

Advisor

"Best case is if the Chinese just blink."

Not knowing your "enemy" will get you killed. Or if you're lucky, just the people in your command.

There is a strain of belligerent nationalism emerging in China- it was there previously but might have been repressed by a bit with some clever statecraft.

I don't want to go to war just because a bunch of douchebuckets (who've actually lost on the deal) want to join up with "the white working class" and sing Solidarity Forever.

Advisor

sure, I can see why you would want to keep your cheap Chinese crapola coming and not want to support the Hong Kong freedom protestors, too. After all, if the thousands of American flag wavers and freedom lovers got asylum to come to America, who knows which way they would vote, right? Maybe FDR got tipped off that the rich Jewish people on the WW II doomed boat were not going to support his brand of politics either.

The truth is that the USA has been in conflict with China for a long time, and Trump is smart enough to recognize it and to stop the nonsense of trying to trade fairly with a nation that doesn't want that.