cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

You will love this.

Written by Mike Carlton from the Sydney morning herald.

One of my new year's resolutions was to ignore the Republican primaries in the United States, but I have broken it already.

They have a horrible, irresistible fascination, not unlike watching a funnel web spider crawling across your lounge-room carpet. All those spray-on tans, those spray-on first names - Mitt, Newt, Rick, Ron - and worse, those spray-on opinions confected out there on the lunar right. These people have spun so far off any rational policy axis that they make George W. Bush look like a Roosevelt liberal.

Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, is the most worrying, if only because he's likely to be the winner to go up against Barack Obama. He made his multimillions as a rip'n'gouge venture capitalist, or whatever the buzz phrase is these days, preying on the carcasses of struggling companies and turning fat profits by the traditional method of sacking half the workforce and flogging off the bare bones of what was left.

22 Replies
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: You will love this.

Wait until people learn about Romney's accounts in the Cayman Islands. 100% legal of course....If you have enough money, you too can lower your taxes, considerably. I guess Obama made him do it........

http://www.mercurynews.com/presidentelect/ci_19786687

r3020
Senior Advisor

Romney gives at least 10% of his income to charity. Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and many other members of congress have made 100s of million from trading inside information. All legal......thanks to congress.

Democratforlife
Senior Contributor

"Romney gives at least 10% of his income to charity." 

Maybe Don will see this and follow Mitt's lead. I doubt it.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

True, they are all pretty much leagally corrupt, party aside. I can tell you that when someone runs for President, all sorts of things can become examined. Even one's birth cirtificate or tax return.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

I hear he gives a lot to the church. That's admirable.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Half the stgory didn't appear.  If you go to www.smh.com and ask for mike carlton, you can read the lot.

johnaa
Advisor

That link leads to Sarasota Memorial Hospital's site.  In the first place it is customary and respectful of copywrites to link to the source you are stealing from.

r3020
Senior Advisor

But not college records.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Hey 3020

You remind me of an interesting question. Bear in mind, this could apply to any president/candidate, so try and broaden your mind beyind Obama:

Question: Is there a line or area that we shouldn't go into a candidate's history? And is there a limit for how far back to go?

I hope also that the answer is not something like "It's just the media" because we are the consumers of the media and the people who love to hear what they dig up.