cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

about John Galt

listening to a group that included a couple grain farmers, an HVAC contractor, an undertaker.

They were all doing the thing du jour which was to talk about how the world revolves around them , the gubbmint is out to get them, nobody else wants to work and they ought to just quit and watch the world fall apart.

OK. As to the farmers- who don't pay UE tax, have been hugely favored by da gummint etc, both of these guys could walk away from  their rented acres and there is 300% excess capacity among others to scoop it up and the guy who got it would just be laughing at them.  So go ahead.

Likewise, there are numerous other funace outfits in town- the guy goes away and other than his employees having to find other jobs ([resumably with the competitor who will need more help), nobody will skip a beat. 2 other funeral homes in town= folks will still get planted.

This is all just tribalism and actually is totally meaningless unless everyone of the "maker" class went on strike. At which point they'd actually find out that there are plenty of folks from the "taker" class to step in and take their place (the exception might be the underrtaker since it is a licensed government monoploy although I bet those guys employ people with licences who would be perfectly happy to step up).

Yes, it is lonely at the top, good luck with that.

40 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Delusional

If you think that most people that are working for a wage are capable of making a seamless transition to employing people and running a business, you obviously know and understand business and entrepreneurs as much as the sitting POTUS does.

Also, I am not sure about the size of your own farm operation, and if you have managed growth over the last 30 years of boom times in farming, or have treaded water, hanging on to some business that a father or uncle developed. I would suspect the latter since your attitude in general does not seem to be that of a tiger but of a cautious charlie. And not to denigrate the cautious charlies out there, I have a lot of that in my makeup, too.

But one thing I have learned , in my 30 year transition from an M farmall and three bottom plow to 400 hp tractors and semis, is that the path to growth is never all that easy. I  watch and talk to those that manage several thousand acres and am continually amazed at some of the sharp operators out there. Guys to learn from, not ridicule.

Not to say that there are not some guys out there that simply were born with a silver spoon and just are going through the motions, but even then, the really worthless ones can find easier pursuits than running a large grain farm.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: about John Galt

The laffer curve suggests at some point of government burden efforts are reduced then cease. If you view what you overhear in the coffee shop, while you're considering how much you dislike your neighbours, as a microcosm of the bigger picture might the competitors who might step up also be thinking that its just not worth it?
Highlighted

Anybody who doesn't know that Laffer is a political hack IS a political hack.

And Red, I'll stand by that 100%. Any one, or thousands of me, you and people a lot bigger can go away tomorrow and the world would scarcely notice.

Believing otherwise is just due to the narcissism that your handlers are cultivating.

Highlighted

Re: Delusional

No, I think you are delusional.

As I've noted many times, if Reagan hadn't bailed many of today's BTO families and virtually all the lenders out in the 80s, the good ground would have gotten planted and the world would have gone on.

Highlighted

Actually, in sheer numerical terms my neighbors include more of the poor, unemployed, those without health insurance etc., than they do the folks who want me to sign up a a member of their exclusive tribe.

Highlighted
Advisor

I'd guess your 100% correct in that statement.
Highlighted
Advisor

Just read through what there is of this thread up to now with interest.  It's a conversation overheard daily everywhere that the locale has been transformed by things that people either discount, don't recognize or don't understand.  My "city relatives", not all that far removed form the farm come down and see crops in the field and presume that all is unchanged.  Works wonders for the changers and those who promoted, enabled and allowed it.

In a somewhat related topic, your guys are quoted in here:

http://www.startribune.com/local/170850241.html

What the fellows you were listening to were doing was either discounting the severity of the effects of all of the contraction and discarding of human capital, or rationalizing it as progress.  Emotions seconded by the responses you've recieved thus far.

To see one's self as simply and seamlessly replacable with no general adverse affects upon anyone else is a horrific when faced up to.  Not hard to imagine why anyone might not have to develop some instinctive defense mechanisms in order to deal with the possiblity of it. 

Highlighted
Advisor

What I draw from this thread is what I've often noted in these conversations and just observed at large, everyone invents their own way of looking down on others.
Highlighted
Advisor

BTW Bruce

I willing to guess that you are a pretty essential component of your family, that ought to be enough importance for anyone.