cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: about John Galt

Are you saying the federal reserve is comprised of democrats? That must be a historical event to have a group of bankers all working to help democrats win public support.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

Are you saying the federal reserve is comprised of democrats? That must be a historical event to have a group of bankers all working to help democrats win public support.

The federal reserve is comprised of progressives who view our Constitution no longer relevant in today's world and we as a society need to progress from it to meet the problems of the day.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Is that how you do it?

There are guys paying retail value for seeds that don't perform as well as the ones available wholesale without all the stacking. Maybe you are one of them, and with corn at all time highs, cutting $50 an acre in seed costs would not put anyone out of business , at least for this year or next year.

But this might be a shock to you, one of the largest operators in my area, I believe he farms over 20,000 acres , plants mostly non GMO corn and treats the corn for rootworms , and scouts and sprays for corn borer. I doubt that this guy is going to get replaced by one of your bar room buddies anytime soon. This guy just built his own grain elevator and is only in his 40's, starting out renting a quarter from his inlaws after a decade in managing crops for a vegetable company. This is what one his neighbors told me a few months ago, anyways, for what its worth.I saw the modern grain elevator with a farmers name on it and was curious.

Granted, federal subsidies and crop insurance are part of his profits, just as they are for any farmer in the environment we farm in. This fellow pays top rents, and gives bonuses to the landlords, which accounts for his rapid rise.Take away the crop insurance guarantees and no one would farm on that scale as no lending institution would take on that risk. But with the current profits in farming, many farm entities are no longer even operating with any debt, so perhaps subsidized crop insurance as a driver for huge farms is overplayed.

Again, I don't know what kinds of movers and shakers that you hang out with that are capable of  a John Galt leap into running a modern farm business, but maybe I underestimate them. I know that I run into guys all the time that shame me and make me want to run a better business. THis doesn't happen by spending time in the coffeeshop, that is for sure.

And I am not praising the rapid consolidation in farming by any means. I am just not going to sit and say that those guys that are driving what is going on are run of the mill spoiled brats that would not make it in some other business. They would. THat is what I have observed, and I made much more money outside of farming than in farming until the last few years. I have been in business and it is never as easy as simply asking "the coop guy what type of GMO seed to plant" and calling the coop when its time for spraying. Sounds like a case of sour grapes to me.

Highlighted

Re: Is that how you do it?

I repeat- don't flatter yourself too much becasue it isn't that hard.

First, I'd estimate that there is at minimum 200% excess capacity out there so before you even get into the matter of being replaced by someone with a learning curve there is a multitude of competition to replace you without a blink.

So the only way to "Galt" it would be for you all to go on strike- not very Galt-like at all (,more like a teacher's union where they all whine themselves into misery)- and a lot like the old "well if farmers just all got together and reduced their plantings" meme.

Good luck with that.

It isn't a bad horse you're riding but you are riding a  it and you might as well get used to fact that you are on a beast, not necessarily permanently in the drivers seat.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I just skimmed this thread so i appolgise if someone mentioned it but, you liberals really need to reread Animal Farm. See, it isn't about the"47%" not having business skills, it's about if family businesses are lost throught death tax and cofiscatory income tax, the incentive to work hard will be gone if we are all at Big Mac flipping wages. I can tell you that if there's a $1 million estate exemption and i'm ready to check out, i will create a huge bon fire and burn all my money over $1million, rather than give it to the government.
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I'm impressed with your logic. Have you considered ending it all this year? You aren't ever going to get a better deal than right now.

However, you can wait until after the election because there is the possibility that lightning might strike the black guy. In that case he will check out under the best terms of the estate tax. Oh I know you would be jealous of him but you would get over it.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I don't like the Zero, but....

If Bama wins in november, and a lightning bolt is about to strike him, I would really think about jumping in the way to save him. As bad as the guy is, he is way better than number two. Number Two....seems like an appropriate nickname for ol Plug. or just Deuce.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: I don't like the Zero, but....

Joe really hits you wrong doesn't he Red?  What's it about him that addles you so?

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

First, the guy is cerebrally challenged and doesn't know it. Like most really stupid people, Joe thinks he is of superior intellect. Google "Joe Bidens Really Really big brain" for Joe on this himself.

Second, the guy continually wears his dead wife and daughter on his sleeve for political reasons, and I find that extremely distasteful. The latest was his "bittersweet" 9-11 speech.

Third, the guy gives $300 a year or less to charity and then comes back and says he gives a lot he doesn't claim...Sure, Joe, SUre.

Fourth, I just don't like the way he talks, and find a foul mouthed poltician not to my liking...I prefer classy people and Joe is not classy.

Need any more????

Joe Biden is proof that how America elects Senators doesn't work, and the progressive changes 100 years ago set the course for the demise of America.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The first paragraph. One could say the same thing about Red Steele

Joe is the common man with all the life experiences of the common man. He commuted from his home to washington for decades and he knows what his constitutants want. Those are his intereasts and who he represents As opposed to those thaty goe to washington and never speak to their constituants except at election time.

Joe represents people. Who does your guys support?

Sorry that you are so offended that he describes how painful it was to lose his wife and daughter. You really got to be looking hard to find something to criticize to criticize that.