Did you mean: 
sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

accepting the shackles

6 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: accepting the shackles

Spoken like true cult members. They don't know why they wear mask outside. They just do it because they're told to.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Re: accepting the shackles

Same as they are excited to get booster shots.

Learned helplessness is well-documented. It takes place when an individual believes he continuously faces a negative, uncontrollable situation and stops trying to improve his circumstances, even when he has the ability to do so. Discovering the loss of control elicits a passive reaction to a harmful situation. Psychologists call this a maladaptive response, characterized by avoidance of challenges and the collapse of problem-solving when obstacles arise. You give up trying to fight back.

You could push back, but you have been made afraid at a core level and so you just give in. You’re left believing nothing will fix this. Helpless to resist, you comply “out of an abundance of caution.” American psychologists Martin Seligman and Steven Maier created the term “learned helplessness” in 1967. They were studying animal behavior by delivering electric shocks to dogs (it was a simpler time.) Dogs who learned they couldn’t escape the shock simply stopped trying, even after the scientists removed a barrier and the dog could have jumped away.

Learned helplessness has three main features: a passive response to trauma, not believing that trauma can be controlled, and stress.{..] You are not responsible, can’t fix something so systemic, and best do what you are told. The way out is to allow people to make decisions and choices on their own. This therapy is used with victims of learned helplessness such as hostages . During their confinement all the important decisions of their life, and most of the minor ones, were made by their captors. Upon release, many hostages fear things as simple as a meal choice and need to be coaxed out of helplessness one micro-choice at a time.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Sam, I hope you ...

Sam, I hope you ditched that encrypted phone the FBI gave you.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Re: Sam, I hope you ...

@rickgthf wrote:

Sam, I hope you ditched that encrypted phone the FBI gave.

The FBI gave me?

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: So, I wonder how many people died of ...

So, I wonder how many people died of Covid because they believed what trump told them about not wearing a mask?  And take trump's insurrectionists, for example, the ones that are sitting in jail and who now say, "everything trump told us was a lie."  They exemplify your learned helplessness, "just do what that bimbo, trump told them to."

As for continuing to wear a mask after being vaccinated, that's just being prudent, 50% of the people in this country aren't yet vaccinated, in some states, it's more than 50%.  Not only that but many of those who remain unvaccinated refuse to wear a mask or admit they aren't vaccinated.  The truth is, people like you Sam are more dangerous now than when masks were mandated.

Besides, so what if they wear a mask, they aren't hurting anyone, leave them alone and mind your own business.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Re: So, I wonder how many people died of ...

how many people died thinking the mask would protect them?  Bet that is the larger group.

I agree the people want to wear a mask, fine, it's their business.   I want to feel pity for their programmed helplessness, that's my business.  

Glad that you feel I'm dangerous.  To authoritarians I want to be dangerous.