cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: ......and bashes Mitt

I'm not cursing anyone, unlike you.  I'm just pointing out (again) the hypocrisy of the rightwing farmer who whines about his tax dollars going to deadbeats who don't pay into something in order to get something out of it!

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

No doubt about it things have changed.  I pay alot more into the farm program than the half of the country that pays no federal income tax and probably more than alot of those of us in the half that do pay taxes.   I also pay in the form of being a captive to a commodity market that the political class has made into a cheap food policy.   If the programs never started, we`d be better off and US food prices would be more reflective of what the rest of the world pays relative to their disposable income.

Highlighted
Advisor

Bernienomics is going to require some change in trade.

The protectionism itself doesn't make a lot of difference but fiscal policy can. We'll need to make sure that a fiscal push mostly remains here rather than leaking out.

If the price of US steel, for instance, rises because of demnd for our infrastructure program, China will still benefit as it will tend to raise the world price because of what we're not exporting. It is a second order effect.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

So, you're saying there is no more just plain ol' free money based on basis of your acreage and you maybe buy crop insurance???  Is that correct?

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

That is correct, NO welfare for farmers.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

But you used to get welfare though, right?

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Yes, foreign countries essentially have protectionism with their currency manipulation.  With steel our scrap iron prices were crazy high $250/ton, the Chinese must`ve paid a even higher price yet with our artifically high dollar.  They built their "ghost cities" and now they`re done, iron is $70. 

But I would favor looking at each country and each commodity or product and assigning a value to it and making sure we have a neutral balance of trade if not a positive.   But when a US air conditioner factory moves to Mexico and Mexico sends back those products, they need to buy far more in dollars of corn to make up for the finished product coming back.  The paltry "raw commodities" they buy at bargain prices after us begging them is no way equal money to the loss of a US factory and the finished product coming back here.   The US chamber of commence and the Farm Bureau and other commodity groups either don`t understand this or are lining their pockets on these deals. 

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I have paid taxes since I was 18 and the United States has had the cheapest food in the world as far back as I remember.  Some farmers had their debt written off in the 80`s....I wasn`t invited to that party.  Other than that I don`t see how it could be twisted that farmers get "welfare", though I`m sure some will try.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Well, then a whole bunch of the people getting food stamps and other welfare money from the govt aren't on WELFARE since they pay and have paid taxes also.  So you can quit calling them welfare whores now. 

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The United States has the cheapest safest food on the planet thanks to the Americans farmer.  No one with as much as an ounce of credibility will argue with that statement and here is something else I and everybody whose IQ is larger than their show size "just knows".  The American farmer produces this food supply at the mercy of politics, tomorrow a leading congressman could get in front of the camera and make a statement and the price of corn could drop a buck, or the stroke of a president`s pen could also make the price of corn drop a buck.  What the American consumers get from the American farmer is so great compared to what little the US taxpayer has had to pay out there is no comparison.

I don`t call people on food stamps "welfare whores" they are hungry and we are in the land of plenty. What I am saying is we have a record amount of people on food stamps and that is not a healthy economy no matter how you want to spin it.  Take those that work for Carrier Air conditioner, 1400 will lose a pretty good job most will not find a better one, they will have to take a part time job at Dollar General and bus tables at IHop.  They will probably have to go on food stamps to suppliment that very small wage.

I say have a economy where we don`t leave over $700 billion on the table in these trade deals, then by keeping living wage jobs here, they won`t have to go on food stamps and the taxpayer will save money in a huge reduction in those safety net programs.

We have a epidemic of people on food stamps and also billionaires, neither are good for the economy.  Instead of figuring how to steal money from the billionaires, how about figure a way to cultivate a economy where it`s harder, but not illegal to become a billionaire and living wage jobs are abundant like pre-1990?