Did you mean: 
Samnospam
Advisor

church and state

25 Replies
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: church and state

No, but there is nothing wrong with an informative meeting. The church is merely a gathering place.

However if a church wants to maintain their preferential tax exempt status, they should not be actively involved in political endorsements. The parishiners can do so as independent citizens but the church should not issue a blanket endorsement of anyone.

I know that church endorsement is done often but should not be legal in my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Samnospam
Advisor

Biden is asking that religious leaders participate in issue advocacy.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

What Biden is doing is informing. Their response must be as individuals. Not as a endorsement of the church organization.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

What Biden is doing is informing. Their response must be as individuals. Not as a endorsement of the church organization.

So if these minister go back into their churches and advocate for gun control they should lose their tax free status?

bruce MN
Advisor

If they go back and open dialogue with the people who show up I'd doubt it. 

But then one could  suppose that  if all churches were run as your patriarchal sect and fundamentalist Islam (run essentially the same) are where it is heresy if not an abomination to question the patriarchs, then it might be a problem.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

I don't think meeting with religious leaders constitutes non separation of state and church. If he was meeting with them to try to organize a state church, no no or if the churches were trying to get approval to teach their particular theology in the school, then , again, a no no. Church and state should non-denominational. In the army, we had monthly talks with different chaplains who spoke about common problems and how to overcome but never specifics about any religion. That is good but I don't feel that ministers should be talking for or against anything or anyone political from the pulpit.
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

You guys don't see that there is no separation of church and state because the politicians don't leave religion out of it when it serves their purpose.  That's one thing I have to give to Romney he left his religion in the church and his personal life where it belongs. Kennedy did too, wouldn't have even know he was Catholic if they didn't tell you.

That is why abortion is a subject that will not die.  It is not the government's job to regulate what a woman does with her body.  That is between her and her conscience and or her God.  Live your life the way you and your religion tells you to and let everybody else do that also.  You won't have  answer to God for them.  That goes for the gay thing also.

The only thing the government should be doing is making sure a woman's choices can be done safely and making sure viable children are not being killed.

And no Biden shouldn't be meeting with church leaders.  Church leaders shouldn't have anything to say about gun control except as an individual, not as a church leader and definitely not from the pulpit.  

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I don't mind political christians but then their church should give up tax free status. We shouldn't be subsidizing them.

hardnox604008
Advisor

Probably not, although I'd hope you would mention it to the Scofieldite fundamentalists who want to get  Israel going on bringing on the endtimes (better get an NRA baptism from Wayne-O quick- the positive side is that Jesus needs a few good men who can field strip an AR 15).