cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Re: coming for the farm

@r3020 wrote:

Nothing is ever enough with progressives.

As the responses indicate, the progs feel it their domain to decide when you have enough.      3.5m sounds like allot to our progs, but for a going concern in anything its not really.

Guess its sort of like figuring out the appropriate number of babies its ok to kill.   decide its okay is the hurdle.

rsbs
Advisor

Sam, I have watched the "how much is enough" argument for a couple of decades now. The guys that made more than I have  per year, but spent it on new vehicles and vacations, and currently don't have a pot to pee in, think the threshold should be $1. 

Nutz, on the other hand, evidently has a quarter of land, and thinks that is the amount that should be exempt. 

Bernie Sanders has a million now, and has shifted his focus to Billionaires, with a  B, not an M.

The late Shifty Kraft wanted an estate tax, but always wanted one that kicked in slightly above what he had.

See a pattern here?

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@rsbs wrote:

Sam, I have watched the "how much is enough" argument for a couple of decades now. The guys that made more than I have  per year, but spent it on new vehicles and vacations, and currently don't have a pot to pee in, think the threshold should be $1. 

Nutz, on the other hand, evidently has a quarter of land, and thinks that is the amount that should be exempt. 

Bernie Sanders has a million now, and has shifted his focus to Billionaires, with a  B, not an M.

The late Shifty Kraft wanted an estate tax, but always wanted one that kicked in slightly above what he had.

See a pattern here?

Yep,  the law of diminishing returns says they'll eventually get swept up as well.  They don't realize it but in the system they want only the politburo members thrive.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

There are probably +6  billion people in the world that are of the opinion "why would anyone need over 40 acres/ 16 hectares???". As we "go global" that is the majority opinion out there.  I`ve often thought with property tax and the melding of government and business, one day the government will hold title and auction off to who will pay the highest property tax/rent for the next 3 years. 

I don`t like these Bigshots farming 10,000 20,000 30,000 acres or more than anyone else.  But either get the government out of farming or strictly limit subsidies to the smaller farmers, like subsidize the hell out of the first 100 acres and very little and quickly no subsidies above that.  And when debts were written off in the 1980`s that was waving the green flag for the problems we have today.  But that`s the ugly head of the cheap food policy.  

If there was no safety net for a say over 1,000 acre/$500,000 gross farmer, there probably wouldn`t be many farm estate above the "Starting point" of the Bernie Sanders estate tax proposals....but let the market decide NOT Bernie!

rsbs
Advisor

good post, BA.

Target the subsidies and then let the market rule.

You still would have the young hot shots on the subsidized 100 acres buying new pickup trucks instead of saving their seed money, but that is going to happen no matter what kind of scheme you devise.