cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samnospam
Advisor

comparing school cost

Looking at.sending the kids to a small catholic school. I'm not even.catholic but in the sticks there just aren't many options and the public school is just poor. Quality poor, money they've got tons.  

So anyhow, the little Catholic school with 12 kids in a class, accredited teachers, acceptable facilities charges $3000/ year tuition.  The public schools cost per student per year is around $11k.  

They could give out vouchers for 3 and save the public 8.

48 Replies
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: comparing school cost

Similar to here.   They closed down most all of the rural one-room schoolhouses a few years ago, to make the schools 'more efficient'.   Turns out, the cost per student went UP after the consolidation, as opposed to before.Every one-room school in our county, had money in a savings account of some kind, every one.   When they 'consolidated', no ones taxes went up, as 'proof' that they could run the bigger school 'efficiently'.   Worked for two years.   The first year, they spent the money in the savings accounts, the second year, they auctioned off everything in the one-room schools, and spent that money.

Now, it is 4-5 years later, and our levy is STILL the same as it was, and our valuations have almost doubled.

I saw it happen with my own eyes, as local control disappeared, the costs per student went up, yet the education didn't get any better.  (In fact, the average student from the one-room school, was about half a grade ahead of the average student, in the 'big' school).

buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

How do the extracariular costs compare. $3000 seems pretty reasonable. I'd send my kids for that if transportation wasn't to big of a hassle.
Faust100F
Advisor

@buckfarmer wrote:
How do the extracariular costs compare. $3000 seems pretty reasonable. I'd send my kids for that if transportation wasn't to big of a hassle.

In DSM at Holy Trinity k-7th Grade is $2800 a year, but you can apply for a stipend from the school, if granted the cost is about $1900.   At Dowling High School 8th thru 12th grade, it costs $6,000 a year, and again supporters contribute to these institutions which enables kids who cannot afford the total cost of tuition to attend. 

What I like about these schools, is each class has a dress code, i.e. boys wear tan pants and light blue shirt, in 1st grade, and the dress code follows them all the way through 12th grade.  Most of the kids graduating from these schools go on to college.

You will not see, name brand clothing, Raiders jackets in these schools.  When we purchasaed our home in DSM we purchased it near the best school in DSM, only to have busing mandated which would have sent them to a ghetto school.  So we enrolled them in the Catholic school in our Parish, and kept them there through graduation from grade 12. 

Both of these tuitions, exceed the $700 a year I paid for four quarters of college in Michigan in 1969. It was less when my children went to these schools, but this is what is being paid for my grandchildren.    I sure am glad there is zero inflation in this country. lol. John

Samnospam
Advisor

This school only goes through 5th so extracurricular isn't a consideration.
r3020
Senior Advisor

@Samnospam wrote:
This school only goes through 5th so extracurricular isn't a consideration.

$3,000 is comparable to here. Non parishioners pay more than parishioners as 50% of the Sunday collection goes to the school. The rest is made up through tuition and never ending fund raisers. Requires a lot of commitment on the part of the parents. That is the worse part about being so small. The lower the number of parents the more they are ask to help with fund raising projects. Thought it was well worth the sacrifice. Kids did receive a quality education. Ours is K-6. Transportation is provided by the public school buses.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: I don't know Sammy!

After hearing the logic spewed on these pages by Catholic posters, I question the value of catholic schools.

I have a friend that has a daughter teaching in a catholic schools. Of course she is under paid and financially struggling. She says " but dad Ilove my job!"   Dad says what the hell does liking your job have to do with it? You aren't being paid enough to live on.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

After hearing the logic spewed on these pages by Catholic posters, I question the value of catholic schools.

I have a friend that has a daughter teaching in a catholic schools. Of course she is under paid and financially struggling. She says " but dad Ilove my job!"   Dad says what the hell does liking your job have to do with it? You aren't being paid enough to live on.

Teachers here make 90% of the what public teachers make with many of the same perks. Plus the parents care and are involved.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Where in the world do you live??? You pay $11K to send your kid to publice school? I find that very hard to believe! Sorry!
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Here, they get good pay, as well.   The public schools actually were griping at one time, that they were taking away all the best teachers.