cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

constitutional butchery

In the 1780s, republicans argued the president should be checked by the legislature, or else the president would be like a king.

In 2020, Republicans argue the president must have unchecked power, or else Congress would be like a parliament.

10 Replies
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Re: constitutional butchery

Amen

r3020
Senior Advisor

Just the speaker of the house be checked by the judiciary.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Since the Scalia Version of The Constitution doesn't give the House sole power to impeach?

Absent that it would be some durn good originalism by them Federale judges to figure how it doesn't.

r3020
Senior Advisor

It also gives the judiciary the power to decide which documents and witnesses are relevant and the Senate sole power to remove.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

The courts have no right to intervene without a lawsuit.

And yes, the Senate most definitely has the authority to decide the case- with or without witnesses and documents- the majority sets the rules. And let the voters decide.

If there are enough Americans who are stupid enough to let the election even be close enough to steal, then we deserve the end of the Republic.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Then Nancy should have filed a lawsuit.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Just to expand on that- if there are enough "but he has such nice children and a self-made billionaire, greatest dealmaker ever will fix it all" folks- i.e., just looking for an excuse, then there might be enough willing to buy the pitiful legal arguments and shameful behavior of the Senate. 

I still have more faith in America than that.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

You are forgetting the Bible sworn oath to do justice, as opposed to looking for any thin legal branch to avoid it.

Like I said, if there are enough Americans looking for an excuse hard enough that they'll buy this crap then the Republic is over.

r3020
Senior Advisor

The shameful behavior took place in the house. They voted to impeach the president and then demand the senate find a crime.