cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

crops, ice, and things

Still chewing through down corn. Still beans left to combine. Still winter wheat to sow. Now this ice storm, power lost for 15 hours. What is it Nox calls me?????Oh yeah, the flat earth society. Fire up the old man made global warming coal plants. We need a couple of weeks 20 degrees above normal instead of 20 degrees below normal.

5 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: crops, ice, and things

Hey 3020, hang in there buddy there`s still corn and beans out there.   I thought we were going to get a Indian Summer???    For us it was the year from hell, late planting, rained all summer so Flexstar was too late to apply even.  And one of the wettest falls I`ve seen.  We can handle one record wet month, but March 3rd wettest, April 2nd wettest, May 9th wettest, June 8th wettest, July 10th wettest, August 9th wettest, September 2nd wettest October 2nd wettest and November on track for 3rd wettest...I`m embellishing, but not by much, one near record wet after another.  Snow in late April and snow in October and a damned cold summer to boot!

And yields here are down, guys that did everything right, the tile, the high priced seed, the recommended fertilizer, fungicide, insecticide...everything and the yield monitor was between 130 and 135 and a few 0`s.  A 45 bushel bean yield was pretty good around here.   Early planted is rare but that`s where the 200 corn yields are.   Hay prices may go through the roof as the was poor new seeding establishment.  

I will take a hot dry drought any time  🙂   

One local guy on snap got a ripper stuck and it took 2 wreckers to get him out.   That`s insane and "rain makes grain".

r3020
Senior Advisor

BA, I have never in my life shelled so much corn going one way at 1.5MPH. Then you have to keep stopping hoping it will feed in. Our county had 100MPH clocked straight line winds on August 25th. Now I don't think any of our corn had that much wind but we were affected by the same storm. It's funny too, our corn was blown straight south. Go 4-5 miles north and their corn was all blown straight north. Then some guys was blown east or west, all within a few miles of each other. Then we had the remnants of hurricane Gordon. Then on another Saturday we had sustained 50MPH winds with gust up to 60. Now the cold and wet. About that Indian summer........is that now considered racist????? I sure hope it kicks in soon if not.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Uff Dah so your corn is lodged/flattened and you have to go one way  😞      I don`t know if this works, but some drive at a 45 degree angle, going slow, with some success.    This is a tough year, I think outside of a few pockets, everyone has challenges.   A friend of mine contracted 30 bu per acre beans for $9.50 and couldn`t fill his contract, but at least he was buying $7.50 and selling at $9.50.   2019 can`t get here soon enough!

r3020
Senior Advisor

Ours is blown straight south. The east west rows feed in fairly good just have to go slow to allow it to feed in. The north south rows need to be run north or you just slide over it. All I can say is thank God for roll-a-cones and reel. Hopefully this ice gets melted off so we can run again. I just hope when 2019 gets here this corn is all in. The guy with the $9.50 beans........I want him for my marketing guy.

elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other,
That's what I'm trying to do.
We got the bean, but some still standing around.
I give up on wheat. May do prevented planting.
Still have Milo....and alot of it around and 20%
Moisture.
And saw one fellow trying to cut corn yesterday.
Two tractors in field.,.one with grain cart, another
With log chain.
Now if we could just do away with the chest
Pains !!