cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

defense budget

Since I was a lad decades ago I have been paying taxes to be used for national defense. The last time The US. had foreign forces invade our national territory was in the 1940's. About a decade later i started paying taxes. The defense budget has swelled since those day with nno direct threat from a foreign invasion on our soil. Most of that tax money should still be there in a trust fund to protect us should we need it.

But I hear tell they have spent almost all of that money and should an invader invade, we might ask Red Steele to contribute a little bit. Governe,nt to pay veterans benefits instead of buying Red a new tractor or combine this year or the next.

Now North korea is saber rattling about how they are going to even the score, so that is reason enough to escalate the defense budget. There always is some looming threat that the US needs to respond to. If it wasn't for North korea we would have to make one up. And that my friend is why our budget is out of balance and the debt is astronomical.

5 Replies
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: defense budget

I don't know if that is the entire reason but for sure a big part of the reason. Just the pay alone is astronomical. In order to have an all volunteer military, I guess the wages have to be pretty big. I say bring back the draft and cut the pay down some. It would should level the field on who has to serve their country.
Samnospam
Advisor

" If it wasn't for North korea we would have to make one up"

Are you saying you don't trust the government?

cotman03
Senior Contributor

We were hit in our own country in September 2001 in case you forgot.  I think it was the 11th.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

That was a criminal act by a group of individuals. It was not a national invasion by one country against the other. Not unlike terry mcveigh bombing Oklahoma city. We did not declare war against anybody. We did not invade anybody.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

That was a criminal act by a group of individuals. It was not a national invasion by one country against the other. Not unlike terry mcveigh bombing Oklahoma city. We did not declare war against anybody. We did not invade anybody.

The repubs in congress cut the defense budget, even though Obama said he would furlough 800,000 workers and it would wreck the economy. He fought tooth and nail against the cuts.