cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

doesn't seem like labor day anymore

Well labor day is about over with........everyone has gone to the lakes and now comming home, getting ready for the

short week....kids going to school, etc.............

but something is missing

The MDA telethon

I grew up with it.......while i after a while got tired at times.........it did something for us...more than raise money for

MDA.......but it showed what we americans were........

There used to be the "love network"......stations accross the nation, would go for 20 hours covering, plus hold fund

raisers, etc........i remember one tv station, if you would have a call in center that would run all 20 hours, they

would come........back then, having a tv news heliocopter land in your little town was something.....they would videotape

and once they got in the air high enough, send it back to the station......they did that with a bunch of little towns.....

and granted, we were not talking about alot of money........then there were carnivals held in the back yards and

in towns......things that didn't cost alot, but caused alot of smiles.......

i always said the MDA event was good for them, but even better for the nation......

BUT.....then the "know it alls" got in........and totally gutted the program and system........now to the point where the

group is only given 2 stars......when it used to be the top rated group......

amazing, the group is cited for spending too much for fund raising costs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and they do nothing.......

before, they had stars........production costs.....tv airtime, etc...etc...etc...........

and now they are down to the internet, and spending a bunch of money, and worse, hiring a company that does the

fund raising for them, and taking a cut of the action.....

and yet........we have forgotten those who it is for........

those with the disease have fewer services now.......and research funding has been cut in half..........

jerry.........we need you..........we are not ready to "walk alone".........

2 Replies
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: doesn't seem like labor day anymore

The government tells everyone that they take care of everything , now. They don't want any "telethon" getting in the way of their complete control of choosing winners or losers. 

bruce MN
Advisor

Re: doesn't seem like labor day anymore

Miss it as well.  Good memories of watching.  Close to home with an afflicted close relative.

Saw an interview with Jerry on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday.  Very good.  I'm sure you could stream it.

Spent this Labor Day with some of the kids home, clearing out and getting ready to move out of the house they grew up in.  We are improving our circumstances, and they are all in on the project, but an emotional time for them.