cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

drugs

Well, another friend of mine had a young woman of 29 die of an overdose...........A year and a half ago my neighbors son of 35 died.....Without politics........What do you think is the right way to handle this stuff?............My wife has been having sever back pain and she cannot get the Dr. to give her anything because of this issue..................

24 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: drugs

Tough situation. I’m just into my 5th week following knee replacement. Understand from that 1st week or so why people go to great lengths to get their hands on the stuff if they’ve crossed the line of addiction i’ve Got a 3rd of what they sent me home with. Still some nights when trying to get that danged (coming along very well...if you ever have one DO the physical stuff they tell you to) knee in the right spot to sleep on i’m Momentarily tempted to go get that bottle.

Whatever you think about govt., it’s going to take more regulation than we have now. Big Pharma a very powerful lobby. So much money in it that members of Congress easy to buy.

One thing we don’t need is a national leader who can’t make or doesn’t know the distinction between opioids and meth and cocaine coming over the border and makes public statements exposing that.

My best to your wife. Went through chronic severe back pain way back in my 30’s, Notfun with a house full of kids and 400+ “outside hogs” to tend to. What seems ages ago.

Her Dr’s position seems strange to me. I’d try a range of options.

Highlighted
Advisor

Offer treatment, including supervised maintenance of the habit as an initial element of intervention.

Opioids, "if properly administered" aren't particularly threatening to health- self administration of whatever they can get their hands on is.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the reply bruce...........I have a neighbor that works (worked, he retired two months ago) in the Lab at Eli Lilly in Indy. When I would bring up "big Pharma" in any way he would get real defensive...He would always debunk stuff that I might bring up.........A strange situation with my wife`s Dr. He is retiring next month so he has a woman taking his place............Five minutes into the appointment and I knew this relationship was not going to work...We did get her a lower back MRI  yesterday......waiting on results............More details but don`t want to write a book....The girl that died father had a long history of drug issues but they are in the past.............We seem to have two or three a month in our county of 30,000.....

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I agree with every word you said nox...........Addiction is a tough thing to handle.........We all have them in some way. Small or large..........

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Most all of the od's are from the fentnayl mix, users have no way of knowing how much is in it.  It is used because the illegality of the trade makes opium itself very expensive.   Not a good thing for people to get into, but the illegality of it creates problems far worse. 

Did you know during prohibition one of the problems they had was bad mixes of alcohol?  No longer a problem.

Highlighted
Advisor

legal weed

while I'm by no means convinced of the claims of the most dedicated pot advocates- that it will cure everything in the medical encyclopedia from A to Z- there does seem to be some evidence that it has some value for recovering opioid addicts and can also contribute to pain management in some cases.

For other than hardcore drug warriors there's a pretty good case for legalization and repurposing that funding to fight the opioid and other more pressing problems.

Of course the real purpose for people like Sessions is to serve  law enforcement, criminal justice, prison (particularly private) interests that don't want those resources directed away from them.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: legal weed

Wow...Everyone that has posted has made perfect sense.......

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

My neighbor is trying CBD oil for his pain. Been about a month now. So far it says it is helping.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Indiana just OKed it..................Whatever works...............I have never saw an autopsy where the cause of death was cannabis...