cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: for don

Believe me, I'd like things to be such, that everyone is well cared for, and every retiree can spend their golden years on their private yacht, and if you didn't get a new car every 3 years or so, you'd be considered 'poor'.

However, where I live, is on Earth, where it just can't be afforded.

In fact, SS & Medicare are on a path where they cannot be afforded, if they aren't knocking on that door already.
So, common sense tells me, if you can see the car headed for the ditch, it is easier to steer it away from the ditch as soon as you can.   Yes, you may have to drive on the shoulder, or the 'rumble bars' for a while, but isn't that better than just leaving it on cruise control, until you overshoot a corner, and wind up in the ditch?

Reforms need to be made, somewhere, and I'm trying to get a feel for what might work.   The status quo will not work any longer, unless all you are worried about is getting another 10 or 15 years of your payments, and don't care about what happens next.

Social security, to me, is a hard item to pin down exactly what it is supposed to be.  
If it is to be your money, returned to you, why is it, if you die before you collect, none of your heirs get the money you put in?

If it is to aid the poor, the handicapped, and those in need, why do millionaires collect it?

I think, over time, it morphed into this big bureucratic mess, where few people, if any, know exactly what is going on within all of it, or are entirely sure, of its purpose, other than to collect some money, and speread it around.  Like many, or even most government programs, it has grown into something that far surpasses its original intent or purpose.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

It's old age and survivers insurance. Those that die early are subsidizing the coverage for those that don't. Just like your car insurance or health insurance. Those without claims subsidize those that do. I have yet to hear of a car insurance or health insurance that returns your premiums if your don't have a claim.

We will see if you are as anxious to reform medicare when you become retirement age. Actually the biggest reason for me to support medicare is because i think it is the best for todays seniors and tomorrows seniors. One only has to look at the private insurance business and the way they gouge seniors and soon to be seniors. There is no private insurance that would cover me and most seniors at any price.

If you try paying $1600 per month preiums for you and your spouse, you just might change your mind. I've had that experience and I didn't like it much. Ironically after all those premiums we still had horrid bills because of the deductable and co-pays.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

It's old age and survivers insurance. Those that die early are subsidizing the coverage for those that don't. Just like your car insurance or health insurance. Those without claims subsidize those that do. I have yet to hear of a car insurance or health insurance that returns your premiums if your don't have a claim.

So to make this work we need to have people dieing off at a younger age since there are far fewer paying in than there were several years ago. And you want the government to be in charge of health care? Now you see why Krugman says the way out is sales tax and death panels?

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I never advocated pushing the cost on to the back of the unborn. Isaid the premiums need to be paid now by the tax payer. I know of no private insurer that is not raising premiums on an annual basis. Thus taxpayers need to pay more for the same coverage we had 20 years ago.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Idiot. You are unable to cope with logic or reason!

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

We will see if you are as anxious to reform medicare when you become retirement age

If there are not reforms, it will not exist by the time I reach retirement age.   So, I have a choice of supporting some sort of reforms, or getting nothing.

What would you do, given those choices?  Support reform, or pay into a system, that will go broke, and  no longer exist before you can collect a dime?

. Actually the biggest reason for me to support medicare is because i think it is the best for todays seniors and tomorrows seniors. One only has to look at the private insurance business and the way they gouge seniors and soon to be seniors. There is no private insurance that would cover me and most seniors at any price.

If you try paying $1600 per month preiums for you and your spouse, you just might change your mind. I've had that experience and I didn't like it much. Ironically after all those premiums we still had horrid bills because of the deductable and co-pays.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

The Donkey plan

100% coverage of all medical bills...no premiums. And have the age for medicare coverage to be right away at birth, none of this waiting until we are 65 years old.

That would be the gold standard, why not support that ?

Makes just about as much sense.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

Idiot. You are unable to cope with logic or reason!

Krugman is. He spelled out how the future generations are to deal with the unfunded mandate you are leaving to them.

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: The Government Final Fix

@r3020 wrote:

@kraft-t wrote:

So to make this work we need to have people dieing off at a younger age since there are far fewer paying in than there were several years ago. And you want the government to be in charge of health care? Now you see why Krugman says the way out is sales tax and death panels?

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

We will see if you are as anxious to reform medicare when you become retirement age. Actually the biggest reason for me to support medicare is because i think it is the best for todays seniors and tomorrows seniors. One only has to look at the private insurance business and the way they gouge seniors and soon to be seniors. There is no private insurance that would cover me and most seniors at any price.

If you had taken better care of yourself, your medical expenses would not have been so horrible.  Just sayin'.