cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

government can't do it

How many hydroelectric dams and flood control dams have been built by private industry. What about the TVA, the Hoover dam the REA that electrified most of the rural US of A?

Oh you can talk about  solyndra and the billions lost but trillions of watss of electricity flows through the nations power grids because the United States govern,ment provided the seed money to build those facilities as well as the atomic energy commission.

Yeah folks the government has done humanity and the world of business a whole lot of good Four years before i was born, 1936 A relative of my wife hauled the highline poles through our community and distributed them along the local rural roads. That folks was the  1st Rural Electric Cooperative in Iowa. The third Rural electric cooperative in the United States. In those days most folks used them to lite a light bulb in the homes or run the radio. Before that they used kerosene lanterns and battery powered radios.

Well when those rural lights flickered on in 1936 my wifes parents and my parents witnessed the lights coming on in their homes. If not for government intervention we would still be milking cows by hand and there would be no internet or TV in rural Iowa. BTW  Boone valley rural electrification is the name of that oldest rural electrification cooperative. In the state of iowa. I am still a member 

28 Replies
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Re: government can't do it

Do you really belive that if not for government intervention, dairy farmers would still be milking by hand, and there would be no internet, and no TV?

I'm curious.   What government agency ran the telephone lines?

Which one put up the cell phone towers?

As for hydroelectric dams, fully 1/4 of them are 'privately owned', about equal to what is owned by State and Local power companies.

Present Development of Conventional Hydroelectric Projects

As of 2011, conventional hydroelectric plants provide 78,600 megawatts of generating capacity. Pumped storage projects provide an additional 22,000 megawatts of capacity.

Ownership of this hydroelectric generating capacity is divided as follows:

1. 50 percent is federally owned;
  2. 25 percent is privately owned; and
  3. 25 percent non-federal publicly owned (for example irrigation districts, cities, and water districts).

The Commission has no authority over any federally owned hydroelectric projects. However, it regulates privately and publicly (non-federal) owned projects through a total of 1,022 licenses and 641 exemptions.

FERC-regulated hydroelectric projects are found in all states except for Delaware, Mississippi, North Dakota, and Hawaii. The leading states in hydroelectric power generation are California, Massachusetts, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington.

Many FERC regulated hydroelectric projects are under 100 megawatts. However, the largest privately owned conventional hydroelectric project in the U.S. is the 1,166-megawatt Hell’s Canyon project on the Snake River near Adam County, ID and Baker County, OR. The Idaho Power Company has operated the project over 50 years.

http://www.ferc.gov/industries/hydropower/gen-info/regulation/present-dev.asp

As to the dams, according to a link I found on Google, more than 65% of dams are 'privately owned'.  This wouldn't cut/past worth a darn, so click the link, if you want the whole story:

http://www.damsafety.org/media/Documents/DownloadableDocuments/LivingWithDams_ASDSO2012.pdf

II |
Living with Dams: Know Your Risk | April 2012
“Fact or Fiction” – Common Beliefs about Dams
Fa
C
t
State dam safety programs have oversight of most dams in the U.S.
State agencies regulate more than 80% of the nation’s dams.
Most dams are privately owned. Dam owners are responsible for
maintenance and upgrades.
Private dam owners are responsible for more than 65% of the nation’s
dams.

bruce MN
Advisor

Bull crap don. You know darned well that God and his handmaidens Adam Smith, Armand Hammer and Donald Trump collaberated with Him to do all of that on the long 8th day. It was Manifest. They most definitely had you and the Kraft clan's long term welfare in mind as a specific long term objective. O' ye of little faith! Your problem is that you don't see that all as clearly as Red and MOS and 30 do. BA knows better but ihas been having too much fun holding his water. Stay cool down there. Enjoying observing the realist transformation of your alleged RINO Sen. Colburn.
r3020
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

How many hydroelectric dams and flood control dams have been built by private industry. What about the TVA, the Hoover dam the REA that electrified most of the rural US of A?

Oh you can talk about  solyndra and the billions lost but trillions of watss of electricity flows through the nations power grids because the United States govern,ment provided the seed money to build those facilities as well as the atomic energy commission.

Yeah folks the government has done humanity and the world of business a whole lot of good Four years before i was born, 1936 A relative of my wife hauled the highline poles through our community and distributed them along the local rural roads. That folks was the  1st Rural Electric Cooperative in Iowa. The third Rural electric cooperative in the United States. In those days most folks used them to lite a light bulb in the homes or run the radio. Before that they used kerosene lanterns and battery powered radios.

Well when those rural lights flickered on in 1936 my wifes parents and my parents witnessed the lights coming on in their homes. If not for government intervention we would still be milking cows by hand and there would be no internet or TV in rural Iowa. BTW  Boone valley rural electrification is the name of that oldest rural electrification cooperative. In the state of iowa. I am still a member 

You would never get a dam built today, in fact there is a lot of talk of tearing out the ones we have because they hurt the fish.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Bruce, if you`re trying to compare the failed Solyndra and the failed 0bama socialized medicine to the TVA and Hoover Dam, that`s a mighty big leap.  Solyndra wasn`t even a gamble, it was purely throwing taxpayer money away like strapping a engine to a brick in hopes that it will fly.  0bamacare isn`t even at gambling staus either, it`s "mandatory" social engineering.

The TVA and the CCC were good government programs that got money into individual hands during the depression.  Unlike now when banks are bailedout and the fed buys bonds, that money stays locked up never making it to "mainstreet".  That`s one thing about FDR, he did get the Keynesian money to mainstreet. 

With rural electrification, it isn`t mandatory, you don`t have to hook up to it.  You can live off grid with your own generator, solar panels, windmill, nuclear reactor or whatever.  With 0bamacare you have death panels.  Everyone that I`ve ever talked to about the TVA says that it was "government`s finnest moment".   I say more solar panels and less death panels!

r3020
Senior Advisor

@BA Deere wrote:

Hey Bruce, if you`re trying to compare the failed Solyndra and the failed 0bama socialized medicine to the TVA and Hoover Dam, that`s a mighty big leap.  Solyndra wasn`t even a gamble, it was purely throwing taxpayer money away like strapping a engine to a brick in hopes that it will fly.  0bamacare isn`t even at gambling staus either, it`s "mandatory" social engineering.

The TVA and the CCC were good government programs that got money into individual hands during the depression.  Unlike now when banks are bailedout and the fed buys bonds, that money stays locked up never making it to "mainstreet".  That`s one thing about FDR, he did get the Keynesian money to mainstreet. 

With rural electrification, it isn`t mandatory, you don`t have to hook up to it.  You can live off grid with your own generator, solar panels, windmill, nuclear reactor or whatever.  With 0bamacare you have death panels.  Everyone that I`ve ever talked to about the TVA says that it was "government`s finnest moment".   I say more solar panels and less death panels!

Today we can't even build a pipeline with private money.

cotman03
Senior Contributor

A couple of those projects were depression era projects designed to put people to work so they could feed their families.  That is what government should be doing and I wholeheartedly agree.  At some point in our history some in government, I think called liberals, decided that it was just easier to write people checks for all their needs instead of asking them to work and help improve society in exchange for money.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Thanks for beating me to the rebuttal, Husker.

Shifty may come from a family of inbreds that couldn't figure out how to get electricity without government help, but most of the successful farmers around him would have picked up on generators pretty fast.

My first irrigation pivot is off the grid, using a diesel generator to get the 480 volts to run the sprinklers. Not a big feat.

jput
Senior Contributor

Let's get the govt involved in running everything.   Heck,  let's have the govt. tell us how to farm,  raise livestock,  etc.  

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/masked-farmers-throw-200000-eggs-2141936

Yeah the govt bureaucracy can't screw things up.   (sarcasm off)

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Now that I'm thinking of it, I remember my Grandpa talking about how things were before the REA came through, roughly 60 or so years ago.  He said that they used batteries to power the radio (and a few other things) and recharged them with little electricity generating windmills.   Then, the government stepped in, and built coal powered plants, and now are pushing for windmills again.    Seems we have come full circle.