cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Esteemed Advisor

granted, there's not a lot of testing

but I fail to find anything to support the assertion that the Delta variant is "much less lethal".

Almost Justacold, as I recall.

12 Replies
sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Re: granted, there's not a lot of testing

Mo. which you like to say has this more than month old ramp in cases because lack of vax has still seen no up trend in deaths.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Gottlieb gave a very good explanation as to ...

Gottlieb gave a very good explanation as to why Delta is more dangerous.  First, Delta's viral load increases much faster and earlier in the disease progression than either Alpha or wild type, at least a day earlier.  Heavy viral shedding starts even before the infected individual expresses symptoms.  As a consequence not only does the patient get sicker faster but by the time they know they're sick, they're already sicker.

And obviously, they've shed more virus particles and exposed more potential victims to a greater viral load.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: "No increase in deaths", you spoke too soon.

483 deaths yesterday, up from 406, up from 355, up from 315,  Sam, it takes time to kill people with Covid, 2-3 weeks at least.  10-14 days while there lungs fill up and turn to Covid soup.

sdholloway56
Esteemed Advisor

MO data looks suspect.

AR and OK which are part of the same pod look about how you'd expect.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@rickgthf wrote:

Gottlieb gave a very good explanation as to why Delta is more dangerous.  First, Delta's viral load increases much faster and earlier in the disease progression than either Alpha or wild type, at least a day earlier.  Heavy viral shedding starts even before the infected individual expresses symptoms.  As a consequence not only does the patient get sicker faster but by the time they know they're sick, they're already sicker.

And obviously, they've shed more virus particles and exposed more potential victims to a greater viral load.

Delta is the start of a trend will be very dangerous because of the vax.

I said months ago the vax'es should be reserved exclusively for those in very high risk categories.    

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@sdholloway56 wrote:

MO data looks suspect.

AR and OK which are part of the same pod look about how you'd expect.

but but but

sdholloway56
Esteemed Advisor

I probably should admire your fervor for being a butthead troll.

Deaths aren’t necessarily recorded in any particular interval. When one place differs appreciably from all others you would wonder why.

BTW, you are also hairy palmed Nazi scum.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: "Delta is the start of a trend ...."

"Delta is the start of a trend that will be very dangerous because the unvaccinated will (are) be more susceptible."

There I fixed it for you.

WCMO
Senior Advisor

Regarding "viral load" -- the study that claimed the Delta variant produced an unusually large viral load was listed as having failed peer review at the time it was cited by the CDC -- archives of the study's page on Research Square, a preprint server for unpublished research, show that it was marked "reject" on July 9 (after peer review) and remained in that status at least through July 26, even though the CDC and mass media have been using the CDC info that was developed from that study.