cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: grazing fees, am I missing something

Have you ever kicked a dead horse that had swollen to so ripe that your foot went right through the hide?

Senior Advisor

No. Can't say that I have.

Highlighted
Contributor

Point of clarification: You do not own the grazing rights. You are merely the current renter. Yes the terms are so sweet and if you keep up your terms you can renew. Somehow people started passing the lease on to their children and then selling a lease to another. The terms are so sweet that banks consider the lease an asset. Like renting a home for a low amount but the home still belongs to the owner and no matter how low the rent the owner can still decide to do something else with the property. If you doubt this look up the Taylor grazing act and it states in clear English the lease conveys NO ownership rights beyond the lease.

Honored Advisor

Farmerguy, I`m the first to admit I know little about grazing on land where it takes more than a acre to carry a cow/calf pair.  But it seems to me the government has cheap subsidized public urban housing and if those tenants were kicked out, there`d be a riot.  And the infamous "rent control" apartments in NYC.  

Anytime that the government is involved some get raw deals, sweetheart deals and all kinds of deals.  But what happened in the PREVIOUS administration that caused federal grazing to get on the radar?  Federal agencies were stacked with do-gooder environmentalists that would rather there be a fire hazard than a rancher and his family eeking out a living on near worthless land. And if the fires from lack of grazing took out a few rich guy $1 million homes in the suburbs, so much the better, in their opinions.    The Bruces and Noxs don`t like the ranchers because they are white guys, that drive pickups with a gun rack and they are perceived to have a dollar or two more in networth. 

But if the government has a good tenant, perhaps they should be kept for many years, to find a new one?  The pool of new ranchers that have 4,000hd to move in March 1st of every year or so is small.

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/federal-grazing-fees...  

Senior Advisor

Just like your social security check. It's yours but the government can change the terms at will. If the government said we are going to use this money to save the turtles then you would not be happy. If the government said we are only going to use the money from those who live near the turtle then you would not care.